A WOMAN was left fighting for her life after she thought an Aldi chocolate Easter Bunny was labelled "dairy free".
Kaley, from Melbourne, bought the chocolate 'Dairy Fine' despite finding it "hard" to properly read the packaging.
Kaley has lived with a life-threatening allergy to lactose and nuts.
It took her just a few bites of the Aldi chocolate, to realise something was wrong.
She told 7 News: "I noticed straight away it didn’t taste like my normal chocolate.
“I then turned the bunny around to see it said ‘dairy fine’ on the front, but it was very hard to see.
She was rushed to hospital on Easter Sunday after suffering an anaphylactic reaction.
She is still "very unwell", but is thankful to be alive.
Issuing a warning to others on Facebook from her hospital bed, she wrote: "I’m currently in hospital and was admitted overnight after an anaphylactic reaction from accidentally misreading the packaging on this chocolate.
"Be careful everyone else."
Allergy group, Allergy and Anaphylaxis Australia has called on the manufacturers to “improve labelling to make it clearer for consumers with food allergies".
They claim Kaley is not the first customer to have been convinced that the chocolate was dairy free.
In a statement, the advocacy group said: “Be sure to read ingredient list as chocolate brand Dairy Fine is NOT dairy free.
“Several have made mistakes and ended up in emergency departments.”
A representative for the group claimed they had approached Aldi last year about the packaging issue, but had not seen any changes.
“We will be discussing it with authorities this week."
Source: Read Full Article