But what happened to them and have any arrests been made?
What happened to the backpackers in Morocco?
Two young women were allegedly butchered by ISIS fanatics while in their sleep in their tent.
ISIS fanatics who beheaded backpackers in Morocco can be heard yelling: "Here are the enemy heads of your Gods" in a horrific video of the execution.
The two backpackers have been named as Louisa Jespersen, 24, from Denmark and Maren Ueland, 28, from Norway.
The Scandinavian women were on a month long trip across the North African country.
A grim clip circulating on social media showing of one of the women being murdered was earlier confirmed as genuine by Danish authorities.
The chilling footage shows a woman screaming while a man cuts her neck with what appears to be a kitchen knife.
During the video, the perpetrators are heard linking the atrocity to the Western bombings in Syria, crying: "This is revenge for our brothers in Hajine in Syria, here are the enemy heads of your Gods."
A separate clip was published on Twitter on Thursday, showing the four men suspected of murdering the tourists pledging their alliance to ISIS leader al-Baghdadi.
According to Morocco World News, a witness, who asked to not to be named, said the women were "allegedly found decapitated", although this has not been verified.
Both were students of "outdoor activities and cultural guidance" at the University of Southeastern Norway.
They had reportedly set up a camp near Imlil which is a popular tourist destination at the foot of the Toubkal peak which is the highest in Africa.
Where were they discovered?
Two female backpackers were found with severe neck injuries in their tent at a popular trekking spot in Morocco.
The tourists from Denmark and Norway, who were in their twenties, were discovered yesterday near the village of Imlil in the High Atlas mountain range where they had set up their tent.
Their bodies were found in a "remote mountainous region" about 6.2 miles from the centre of the village.
What we know so far…
- Two Scandinavian tourists were killed in their tents as they camped at the foot of Mount Toubkal in the Atlas mountains.
- French hikers discovered their butchered bodies on Monday morning.
- Cops arrested one man on Tuesday and a further three men today, who hid weapons underneath their seats as they attempted to flee from the scene in a bus.
- Police have released shocking photos of the enormous blades in their possession.
- Danish authorities have claimed that the horrific video circulating on social media showing the killings is genuine.
- All four suspects are said to have sworn allegiance to ISIS, and Moroccan authorities are treating the murders as a terrorist act.
- In the unverified video, the killers link their atrocity to Western bombings in Syria.
- The murdered students were on a month-long holiday in Morocco and had just spent a week at a hotel in Marrakech.
- A second as yet unverified video published on Twitter on Thursday claims to show the four suspects claiming responsibility for the attack.
Have any arrests been made?
THREE men have been arrested.
The two young women were allegedly butchered by ISIS fanatics while in their sleep in their tent.
It is reported that three suspects from Marrakesh, who were camping nearby, have been arrested in connection with the murder.
Police are also said to have identified the suspects through CCTV in local shops in the village.
One of the suspects, according to the source, also left his ID card behind at the camp.
It has emerged that the suspects were camped 600 metres from Louisa and Maren.
It is alleged after committing the murders they fled, leaving their tent in which was a forgotten ID of one of the arrested men.
The suspects were also filmed on CCTV moving towards the spot where the women were camping.
They are now being hauled back to the scene of the crime to explain how the killings happened, according to a source.
Source: Read Full Article