More than 125 fans file $750 million lawsuit against Travis Scott over Astroworld tragedy as W Magazine desperately tries to keep his cover with Kylie Jenner off newsstands
- A Houston attorney filed a lawsuit for more than 125 victims of the Astroworld Festival chaos that left 10 dead and hundreds injured
- Tony Buzbee accused rapper Travis Scott of gross negligence as the concert failed to have adequate safety measures in place to protect attendees
- One victims was allegedly suffocated by the crowd and trampled to death, all while Scott kept performing on stage
- The lawsuit also blames festival organizers Live Nation, Epic Records, Drake and Apple as Buzbee prepares another lawsuit with 100 more victims
- Houston police are continuing to investigate the deadly crowd surge
- It comes as W Magazine is frantically trying to take remove its outgoing magazines from circulation featuring the troubled rapper on the cover
More than 125 fans sued rapper Travis Scott for $750 million over the deadly Astroworld Festival incident that left 10 dead and hundreds injured earlier this month.
The lawsuit, filed by Houston Attorney Tony Buzbee – who had previously been representing at least 35 victims from the concert – accuses Scott and festival organizers of ‘gross negligence’ for the chaos at Astroworld on November 5.
The suit also names Live Nation, Epic Records Drake and Apple as defendants for their involvement in organizing the festival, and Buzbee plans to file another lawsuit with 100 more plaintiffs in the coming days.
‘No amount of money will ever make these Plaintiffs whole; no amount of money can restore human life,’ Buzbee said in the lawsuit.
‘But, the damages sought in this case attempts to fix, help, or make up for the harms and losses suffered by these Plaintiffs — nothing more and nothing less.’
The lawsuit comes as W Magazine is reportedly scrambling to pull their next issue featuring Kylie Jenner and Scott on the cover after the Astroworld Festival tragedy.
Rapper Travis Scott was accused of ‘gross negligence’ in setting up the Astroworld Festival that left 10 dead and hundreds injured on November 5 (pictured on stage)
An ambulance is seen in the crowd during the Astroworld music festival as Scott’s performance reportedly continued
The unruly crowds were allegedly incited by Scott, who is accused with festival organizers of not putting enough safety measures in place to protect attendees
Axel Acosta, 21, was crushed by the crowds and suffered a heart attack before being trampled to death. He had traveled from Washington to attend the festival – his first concert
Buzbee alleges that Scott incited the crowd frenzy as he has often praised violence in mosh pits and yelled at attendees to attack one another.
Buzbee claims Scott and the concert promoters and organizers failed to have protective measures in place to protect the concert goers.
Among those Buzbee is representing is the family of Axel Acosta, 21, of Washington, one of the ten who died at the concert.
Buzbee wrote, ‘Axel was crushed by the incited, unruly and out-of-control crowd with such force that he could no longer breath; with such force that the air in his lungs was literally slowly squeezed out of him, sending his heart into cardiac arrest.
‘When Axel collapsed, he was trampled by those fighting to prevent themselves from being crushed. As he lay there under a mass of humanity, dying, the music played and streamed on—for almost forty minutes.’
In a statement, Live Nation said ‘We continue to support and assist local authorities in their ongoing investigation so that both the fans who attended and their families can get the answers they want and deserve, and we will address all legal matters at the appropriate time.’
The other defendants in the lawsuit did not immediately respond to the DailyMail.com’s request for comment.
Editors at W Magazine are said to be desperately attempting to recall the magazine ‘before it hits store shelves,’ a source told Page Six this week.
Panic mode: W Magazine is reportedly scrambling to pull their next issue with Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott on the cover after the Astroworld Festival tragedy; pictured in 2019
Stressful: Editors are said to be desperately attempting to recall the magazine ‘before it hits store shelves,’ a source told Page Six this week
‘W editors have cleared any planned coverage of Travis and Kylie from their website, but the magazine was already printed, and now they are trying to stop the delivery trucks,’ an insider told the outlet.
Additionally, they explained: ‘In the light of what happened at Astroworld, the interview and cover lines seem inappropriate, to say the least.’
DailyMail.com has yet to hear back from W Magazine for a request for comment.
On Monday, Nike announced they would postpone their sneaker release with Scott after a nine-year-old boy became the latest fatality in a deadly crowd surge during his performance in Houston.
The child was reportedly a big fan of the rapper music, and was sitting on his father’s shoulders when the countdown to Scott’s performance had began.
The pair stayed near the back of the crowd because his father, Treston Blount, thought it would be calmer, he previously told ABC 13.
But as soon as Scott took the stage, Treston said, people started pushing.
He lost consciousness and Ezra fell to the ground, and was soon trampled on by eager concert-goers.
Ezra Blount, 9, of Dallas, Texas, became the latest fatality in a deadly crowd surge during a Travis Scott performance at the Astroworld music festival in Houston on Sunday – 10 days after he was put in a medically-induced coma
W editors have cleared any planned coverage of Travis and Kylie from their website, but the magazine was already printed, and now they are trying to stop the delivery trucks,’ an insider told the outlet; seen in June
When Treston regained consciousness, he said, he could not find Ezra anywhere, and rushed to the on-site medic tents and several hospitals.
Eventually, he said, he filed a police report, and received a message from an officer with a picture of his boy.
When he got to the hospital, he discovered his son incurred severe damage to his brain, kidney, and liver after being ‘kicked, stepped on, and trampled, and nearly crushed to death,’ according to a lawsuit his family has filed against Scott and the event´s organizer, Live Nation.
The Blount family is seeking at least $1 million in damages.
In a statement, the family’s lawyer, Ben Crump, said that he was ‘committed to seeking answers and justice’ on behalf of the family.
‘The Blount family tonight is grieving the incomprehensible loss of their precious young son,’ Crump said. ‘This should not have been the outcome of taking their son to a concert, what should have been a joyful celebration. Ezra’s death is absolutely heartbreaking.’
With Ezra’s death, the death toll stemming from the crowd surge rose to 10 people.
Ten dead: On Monday, Nike announced they would postpone their sneaker release with Scott after a nine-year-old boy became the latest fatality in a deadly crowd surge during his performance in Houston; pictured during 2021 Astroworld Festival at NRG Park
The dead ranged from 9 to 27 years old. Hundreds more were injured.
City officials are investigating what caused the pandemonium at the sold-out event attended by about 50,000 fans.
Last week, Houston’s police chief blamed Scott for not pulling the plug on the deadly Astroworld concert as new footage showed cops casually filming the Travis Scott show nearly 30 minutes after a mass casualty event was declared.
Houston Police Chief Troy Finner refused to provide a timeline for the police response after a sizable group pushed toward the stage at NRG Park.
When asked about the timing of the police response after it became apparent things had become dangerous, Finner said the police department was still in the early stages of its investigation and that he was ‘not gonna discuss timelines.’
Tragic: The dead ranged from 9 to 27 years old. Hundreds more were injured
Many unknowns: When asked about how the concert came to an end, and why Scott was able to complete his set, the chief said investigators are still looking into the specifics during a press conference on Wednesday
Video and photos obtained by TMZ shows members of the Houston Police Department calmly walking around and even pulling out their cellphones to record Scott’s performance after the Fire Chief declared a ‘mass casualty event’ at 9:38 pm.
A set of photos with the time stamps 9:57 pm shows police officers recording the rappers performance, 19 minutes after the chief’s declaration, TMZ reported.
TMZ also obtained video of officers casually strolling past the stage shot at 10:02 pm, 25 minutes after the mass casualty declaration.
When asked about how the concert came to an end, and why Scott was able to complete his set, the chief said investigators are still looking into the specifics during a press conference Wednesday.
Chaos: Around 2pm hundreds of fans stormed the festival’s VIP entrance. About seven hours later the surge in front of the main stage killed nine people, but the two events appear to be unrelated
‘I don’t know, and that’s part of the investigation,’ he told reporters, adding ‘We’ve been looking and the timelines have moved and that’s why we shouldn’t jump ahead of things, lets just wait. that’s part of the investigation.’
Finner, who said he did not have a close relationship with Scott and had only met him twice, said whether or not the show went on was not up to the police department.
‘Authorities ability to end the show – we don’t hold the plug, okay? But it’s always in a plan, there’s always discussion of how that would happen and we had those discussions with the promoters,’ Finner said.
‘The ultimate authority to end the show is with production and the entertainer,’ he added.
Source: Read Full Article