The second LA County deputy shot in an ambush in Compton earlier this month has been released from the hospital, the sheriff’s office said Monday.
Claudia Apolinar, 31, who was shot multiple times at close range in the brazen Sept. 12 caught-on-video attack, has been discharged from St. Francis Medical Center — four days after her 24-year-old partner left the hospital.
“Great news,” the LA County Sheriffs Department said on Twitter. “Both of our Deputies from the #ComptonAmbush have been discharged from the hospital and are resting. They both have a long road to recover and #LASD appreciates your continued prayers and all the support. #LASDStrong.”
Apolinar, a former librarian and mother of a six-year-old boy, was shot in the jaw during the shooting but still made a tourniquet for her partner and radioed in for help. Both deputies joined the department just 14 months earlier.
LA County Sheriff Alex Villanueva has not identified the second deputy, who was shot in the head during the attack.
In a photo released Monday, Apolinar is seen in her hospital bed while a department sergeant fields a call for her from President Trump — who reached out to both wounded officers to wish them a speedy recovery.
The deputies were in their patrol car outside a transit center in Compton when the gunman walked up and opened fire.
The sheriff’s department initially offered a $100,000 reward for his capture and conviction of the shooter — but that number has now soared to $500,000 from various sources, the LA Daily News reported.
Police have not identified a suspect in the case.
Share this article:
Source: Read Full Article