Police launch murder investigation after human skeleton is found buried in woodland grave: Officers say the victim suffered severe injuries, had been dead for YEARS – and they have NO idea who he is
- The skeleton was found by a member of the public in Sutton-in-Ashfield, April 26
- A post-mortem examination has been carried out since remains were exhumed
A murder investigation has been launched after human remains were discovered in a field in Nottinghamshire.
Police have so far been unable to identify the body, which was found alongside a pair of socks and a man’s shoe in farmland off Coxmoor Road in Sutton-in-Ashfield on 26 April.
While the cause of death is unknown, it is believed that the person sustained ‘traumatic injuries’.
Nottinghamshire Police said there were currently three murder investigations in which a body had not been found in the county, and that officers had ruled out the remains being related to these cases.
This means the theory that this body could be Robin Barrows Spencer, who went missing in 2004, has been ruled out.
A murder investigation has been launched after human remains were discovered in in Sutton-in-Ashfield on 26 April
The skeleton was found in a grave, alongside a pair of socks and a man’s shoe
Police also confirmed the skeleton did not belong to either James Brodie, who has been missing for 20 years, or Bogdan Nawrocki – two high profile missing cases.
Mr Brodie is suspected to have shot and killed Marian Bates during a robbery at her jewellery shop in Arnold in 2003. Nawrocki, a Polish immigrant, was murdered in 2014.
The force said extensive work, including a post-mortem examination, had been carried out since the remains were exhumed.
However, further work was required to identify the person – who was estimated to be between 5ft 4in and 5ft 6in.
Police revealed that more work needs to be carried out on the remains. This includes radiocarbon dating testing which will attempt to determine when the individual died. The results of this can take up to several months.
A team of detectives are now following a number of lines of inquiry, including examining the Missing Person database.
There will also be an analysis of clothing recovered from the scene, further consultation with experts to assist in identifying the man plus additional tests to find out how the person died.
Speaking to the media, Assistant Chief Constable Rob Griffin said: ‘We are now treating this as a murder investigation. An investigation has been launched and is being led by our colleagues from the East Midlands Special Operations Unit.
Police confirmed that the human remains did not belong to James Brodie (pictured), who has been missing for 20 years
While the cause of death is unknown, it is believed that the person sustained ‘traumatic injuries’
In a press conference on May 24 Assistant Chief Constable Rob Griffin provided an update on the circumstances in which the human remains were found
‘There is a team of trained detectives working their way through this inquiry. We are able to say that it is for two reasons. The first of those is that the body does have a number of injuries.
‘And the second reason is the various very obvious circumstances in which this person has been found.’
Officers were first called to the scene in Coxmoor Road after a member of the public came across bones on April 26. The area was cordoned off and a no fly-zone was enforced over the scene including drones, while officers carried out their inquiries.
Mr Griffin shared a message of reassurance to the general public by saying: ‘This area is a really, really nice area, it is used by members of the public almost every day walking dogs, generally walking.
‘It is used currently and and perfectly safely – it is an area with a very low crime. And I think it’s important for people to have in mind that what we are talking about here today is a crime that took place a fairly significant time ago and we don’t know that it was even a scene of the homicide.
‘So the public have nothing to fear in that area. The woods and the surrounding area are perfectly safe.’
Mr Griffin also called on the public to come forward with any information they think think could helpful.
People are asked to contact the incident room via the link here or alternatively you can call 0800 096 0095.
Source: Read Full Article