Mother-of-four watched ‘veins collapse’ when hot water bottle exploded

Mother-of-four watched ‘veins collapse’ when hot water bottle exploded

Mother-of-four, 29, watched her ‘veins collapse’ when a hot water bottle she put down her leggings exploded and burned her skin off

  • Sophie Mason, 29, from Waddington near Lincoln, said that she went into shock 
  • The boiling water split down the seam and splashed onto her stomach and legs 
  • The mother-of-four was left writing in agony and needed to have two skin grafts  

A mother-of-four was left in agony after she put her hot water bottle down her leggings and it split open, with boiling water burning her body.

Sophie Mason, 29, from Waddington near Lincoln, said her ‘veins collapsed’ and she went into shock after the scalding water splashed on her legs and stomach. 

She said she couldn’t feel anything on her stomach or her legs and was told she’d need two skin grafts to repair the damage.

The mother had been about to curl up for the evening on Monday, September 30, when the horrific accident took place.

Sophie Mason, 29, from Waddington near Lincoln, was left writing in agony after her hot water bottle split and covered her in boiling water 

She said: ‘We were prepping for a Halloween video and it had been raining outside since so we were cold. 

‘I got my husband to fill the hot water bottle for me with water from the kettle.

‘I always tuck it down the front of my leggings to keep it secure. When I did it split down the seam.’

The split caused boiling water fresh from the kettle to splash her stomach and leg leaving Sophie feeling ‘sick’.

She added: ‘I can’t explain how it felt, I instantly felt sick. I shouted to Mark. I was trying to take my clothes off but my hand was burning. My husband ripped them off and started chucking cold tea towels at me to cool me down.

‘Mark phoned an ambulance and I went into shock as my veins had collapsed.’

Sophie was rushed to the hospital for treatment where she was told she would need two skin grafts.

She was left with horrific injuries and was told by doctors that she would need two skin grafts

The hot water scalded her legs and her stomach but Sophie says she was left with no feeling in either

She said: ‘I couldn’t feel anything in my stomach or legs. The whole time I was complaining about the pain in my hand rather than my stomach and my leg.

‘The reason for this was the burn on my hand was superficial so the nerves were exposed. They were trying to get my wedding ring off my hand because it had swollen up.

‘The nurses were trying to get control all the blisters that were coming up – there must have been 100 blisters on my stomach and legs. They were popping them open and covering me up to protect my me.’

On Friday, October 4, Sophie underwent a three hour operation to cover her burns with skin from the back of her right thigh.

‘They didn’t initially know how deep the burns were because they take about two or three days to show how bad they are.

Her husband tried to help her and Sophie says he’d previously warned her not to put the hot water bottle in her trousers

‘When I went for a check up they weren’t sure whether I needed a skingraft, but I went back on Friday and they said I needed two.

‘After the operation I had to stay in hospital as my graft was bleeding and I had to go back last night as well.

‘I’m in a lot of pain and my mobility is very limited. It’s had a very big impact and it’s going to for a while. It’s not going to get better for months.’

Sophie says her friends couldn’t believe it had happened to her and is urging them and anyone else who uses a hot water bottle to learn from her mistake.

‘Listen to your husband when he says don’t do it,’ she said ‘He’s been telling me for years and I’ve been saying you’re paranoid. I know so many people who’ve said they do this.

‘They always advise not to put boiling water inside in case this happens. I’m just grateful it happened to me and not a child.’

Source: Read Full Article