Married couple still fighting for life after 'faulty gas fire' sparked explosion that killed two-year-old neighbour

Married couple still fighting for life after 'faulty gas fire' sparked explosion that killed two-year-old neighbour

A MARRIED couple are still fighting for their life in hospital after a 'faulty gas fire' allegedly sparked an explosion that killed their two-year-old neighbour.

Little George Hinds died in the blast while he was at home with his parents who escaped serious injury.


His dad Stephen, 42, was seen bleeding in the street while his mum Vicky Studholme, 41, was trapped under a wardrobe in the rubble of their home in Heysham, Lancs.

Their neighbours – named locally as Sharon and Darren – were seriously injured in the 2.40am Sunday morning explosion.

And the couple, said to be in their late 40s or early 50s, are in a critical condition in hospital.

Neighbours claim the explosion was caused by a faulty gas fire but Lancashire Police has refused to confirm the cause of the explosion.

A spokesman said: "We're still at the early stage of the investigation, so we are not in a position to comment on the cause or the seat of the fire at this stage."

George's parents yesterday paid tribute to their toddler son as "their beautiful angel".




They said: "“We are devastated at the loss of our beautiful George.

“He was so precious to us. We have no words to describe how we feel and just want time to ourselves to come to terms with what has happened.

“Our beautiful little angel grew his wings today.”

And people on the estate in Heysham were in shock that George has lost his life.

Rachel Smith, 42, said: "It's terrible that the little boy has lost his life and injuries.

"It is heartbreaking."


Another neighbour said: "We are just preying Sharon and Darren will pull through.

"There are rumours it was caused by a new fireplace that was installed a few weeks ago.

"It is terrible."

Two houses collapsed and a third was seriously damaged in the blast which was described as being "like a bomb went off".

Assistant chief fire officer Ben Norman said investigators are working in "the most awful conditions".

He said officers were "very much moving to slow time, to methodically work through what is a very, very difficult site".

He added that investigators were viewing a gas explosion as "the most probable cause, but we'll only confirm that clearly when the experts make their conclusions, which won't be a quick process".

Around 80 firefighters and 10 fire engines attended the scene yesterday as the road was closed and homes evacuated after a major incident was declared.

A Gofundme page set up to help Mallowdale Avenue residents has now reached nearly £40,000.

You can donate here.




    Source: Read Full Article