Man, 85, died after waiting two hours for an ambulance after fall

Man, 85, died after waiting two hours for an ambulance after fall

Great-grandfather, 85, who died after he was found lying in pool of blood following fall at his house was forced to wait two-and-a-half hours for an ambulance, his family say

  • Widower Charles Hall, 85, died after waiting nearly three hours for an ambulance
  • Hall was found by his daughter and son-in-law lying in a pool of his own blood
  • East Midlands Ambulance Service told the family that Charles was ‘high priority’
  • Mr Hall, a retired police officer, died in hospital after he suffered a heart attack

Charles Hall, 85, died after a fall led to a heart attack following a nearly three hour wait for an ambulance to arrive

The family of a great-grandfather they found lying in a pool of blood were left ‘shocked and upset’ after waiting two-and-half-hours for an ambulance before he died in hospital.

Charles Hall, 85, was found after a suspected fall at his house, by daughter, Joanne and her husband John on October 4.

Realising the former police officer was in trouble, the family kicked the door down and immediately called the East Midlands Ambulance Service.

As the family tended to widower Charles, they had to wait two-and-a-half hours for the East Midlands Ambulance Service to arrive at his home in Hinckley, Leicestershire. 

Father-of-two Charles died the following day at Leicester Royal Infirmary after kidney failure – which caused the fall – led to a heart attack. 

The family said the scene at Charles’ house ‘looked like a crime scene’ and that he probably had a fall in his kitchen and tried to reach the telephone near his front door.

Charles was found in a pool of his own blood in his Leicestershire home by his daughter and son-in-law

Son-in-law, John, 56, who gave Charles first aid at the scene, said: ‘My wife rang me at around 5.30pm to tell me that her dad was on the floor, and that she couldn’t get in the door.

‘My brother and sister-in-law arrived and kicked down the door – and there he was, on the floor covered in blood.

‘We, as a family, are still trying to piece together exactly what happened. It was utter carnage – the kitchen table had been shoved out the way, one slipper in one corner of the room..

‘He was in a right old state, bless him. It wasn’t dignified at all.

‘We rang the ambulance at the time, then they told us they can’t come for another two-and-a-half hours.

Charles was taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary – where he died the day after his kitchen fall

‘I’m a qualified first aider, so after an hour of waiting, I had to tend to him myself.

‘I did all the usual checks and made sure he could move his fingers and legs, I helped put him in the recovery position – very responsive, we had a chat.

‘But over the two-and-a-half hours, I rang the ambulance and said he is having a trouble breathing and in and out of consciousness. 

‘When they arrived at around 8pm, they said to us ‘this is a priority’.

‘Perhaps some advice as to try and make my dad more comfortable may have been helpful, but nothing.

‘He was lovely man, a police officer for 40 years, always building things in back garden – a right character. 

‘For it to end like this is very upsetting.’

East Midlands Ambulance Service said Charles was a ‘high priority’ despite his lengthy wait

Richard Lyne, divisional director of EMAS, said: ‘I would like to offer my deepest condolences to Mr Hall’s family, all of whom we understand have faced a deeply difficult time.

‘Patient care and safety is always our priority and I am sorry that on this occasion the service provided to Mr Hall was not to the standard he rightly expected.

‘At the time of Mr Hall’s call there was continued high demand on EMAS and the wider NHS system, and we were responding to a number of people whose life was reported to be at immediate risk.

‘We are currently in contact with Mr Hall’s family through our Patient Advice and Liaison Service and are fully investigating the reason for this delay.’

The family have now lodged complaint with East Midlands Ambulance Service and the investigation could take up to 60 days.

Source: Read Full Article