Harvey Weinstein agrees £19MILLION settlement with sex attack accusers – but he won't have to pay a single penny

Harvey Weinstein agrees £19MILLION settlement with sex attack accusers – but he won't have to pay a single penny

HARVEY Weinstein has reached a £19million settlement with dozens of his alleged sex attack victims – and he won't be paying a single penny.

The frail Hollywood mogul, 67, who arrived at court today on a Zimmerframe, has got approval from more than 30 women who accused him of sex offences.


But the "preliminary" deal would not require Weinstein to admit wrongdoing or pay anything to his accusers himself, according to lawyers involved in the negotiations.

However, the reported payout relates to civil suits brought by alleged victims and will not impact his criminal trial, relating to five sexual assault charges brought by two women, which is scheduled to start on January 6 in Manhattan.

In the "tentative" agreement, Weinstein's accusers would share in the settlements along with potential claimants who could join in coming months.

The deal – which would require court approval and a final signoff by all parties – would bring an end to nearly every civil lawsuit brought against him and his former studio the Weinstein Company, founded in 2005 by the alleged sex predator and his brother Bob.

But it would be paid by insurance companies representing the company which filed for bankruptcy shortly after the Oscar winner became engulfed in the sex scandal which helped inspire the #MeToo movement.

'SEX ATTACK' SETTLEMENT

In the civil lawsuits, the women – who include some of Weinstein's former employees and actresses – have accused the disgraced Hollywood powerbroker of offences ranging from sexual harassment to rape.

Weinstein denies all allegations of sexual misconduct made against him.

The film producer had his bail increased to £3.8million yesterday, after criminal prosecutors said he had routinely left home without his ankle monitoring bracelet.

He will undergo surgery tomorrow for a back injury sustained in a car accident in August, the court in New York was told.

But Judge James Burke warned him: “If you have any further medical issues, the court will not be terribly understanding.”

The 67-year-old filmmaker shot back: “This is the only time I’ve asked for it. This ensures I am here January 6. This is a good thing for you.”

Last week, he had hobbled into court for a bail hearing looking unsteady on his feet.

Weinstein will go to trial in January on five sexual assault charges.

He is accused of forcibly performing oral sex on production assistant Mimi Haleyi in 2006 and raping a longtime lover, who hasn’t come forward publicly, in 2013.



Source: Read Full Article