Donald Trump briefly leaves hospital to surprise supporters after video message saying he's 'learned a lot about Covid'

Donald Trump briefly leaves hospital to surprise supporters after video message saying he's 'learned a lot about Covid'

DONALD Trump paid a "little surprise" visit to fans camped outside Walter Reed Medical Center amid news the president's condition is improving as he battles Covid-19.

The US President was seen driving past fans in a black SUV waving with the windows up as supporters screamed "I love you".

⚠️ Read our Donald Trump live blog for the latest news & updates on his covid battle

The Secret Service agents riding with Trump appeared to be wearing wearing medical-grade masks, face shields and gowns over their clothes.

Trump said before leaving the hospital for the drive-by surprise: "We’re getting great reports from the doctors.

"This is an incredible hospital, Walter Reed. The work they do is just absolutely amazing and I want to thank them all.

He continued: “I also think we’re going to pay a little surprise to some of the great patriots we have out on the street. They’ve been out here a long time and they’ve got Trump flags and they love our country.

"So I’m not telling anybody but you but we’re about to make a little surprise visit. So perhaps I’ll get there before you get to see me, but when I look at the enthusiam, and we have enthusiasm like probably nobody’s ever had."

He added: “It’s been a very interesting journey. I learned a lot about Covid. I learned it by really going to school.

"This is the real school, this isn’t the ‘let’s read the book school’. And I get it.

"I understand it. And it’s a very interesting thing, and I’m going to be letting you know about it."

As Trump was filmed waving to supporters, a doctor at Walter Reed slammed him for "risking lives for political theatre" as everyone in his drive-by "must quarantine."

Dr. James Phillips slammed the president's drive-by visit as "insanity," saying he's risking lives of Secret Service members.

Reporters were not told about Trump's appearance.

The pool of reporters who travel with the president were told by the White House that Trump wouldn't be making any appearances.

A pool report seen by Politico said: "The pool was not informed of this ahead of time, and we have not been called back to the White House or Walter Reed."

The video message from the president comes after his doctor said on Sunday that the Trump may be able to leave the hospital on Monday.

Speaking outside the Walter Reed Medical Center, doctors said, if Trump continues to improve, they "plan for discharge as early as tomorrow."

Doctor Brian Garibaldi said: "Today, he feels well. He's up and around. And if he continues to look and feel as well as he does today, our hope is that we can plan for a discharge as early as tomorrow to the White House where he can continue his treatment course."

Dr. Sean Conley also confirmed Trump experienced two drops in oxygen saturation levels and a high fever amid confusion about reports of the president's health.

The president was also on supplemental oxygen for roughly one hour, the doctor added.

The White House doctor, who has provided optimistic comments about Trump's health, spoke to reporters to clear up what have been considered conflicting reports with Chief of Staff Mark Meadows' less optimistic statements.

Conley said that Meadows' conflicting statement to reporters on Saturday was "misconstrued," adding that "the chief and I work side-by-side."

Minutes after Trump's medical team addressed the nation on Saturday, Meadows spoke off-the-record to a pool of reporters asking to be quoted as an 'anonymous source'.

He painted a very different picture to journalists, saying Trump's vital signs had been "very concerning" and that the next 48 hours would be "critical" in his care.

Meadows added: "We're still not on a clear path to a full recovery."

However, during Sunday's press briefing, Dr Conley claimed Meadows was referencing the president's high fever and oxygen drop 24 hours earlier.

Hours after the briefing, Trump tweeted to thank his supporters who have been waving flags and holding signs outside of the hospital.

The president wrote: "I really appreciate all of the fans and supporters outside of the hospital. The fact is, they really love our Country and are seeing how we are MAKING IT GREATER THAN EVER BEFORE!"

Trump shared a video message from hospital on Saturday evening, warning the "next few days will be the real test" in his fight against coronavirus.

The four-minute video follows a day of confusion over his condition with doctors saying he’s doing well, but the White House chief of staff saying his vitals are "very concerning and the next 48 hours is critical."

Trump said: "I came here, wasn't feeling so well. I'm feeling much better now."

"I’m starting to feel good. You don’t know over the period of a few days – I guess that’s the real test."

"We’ll be seeing what happens over the next couple of days."

He added that he'll "'be back soon" and will "finish the campaign."

The president did not sound out of breath when he was speaking and he was upbeat as he addressed the nation while sitting at a table in the hospital.

"We’re gonna beat this coronavirus – or whatever you want to call it – and we’re going to beat it soundly," Trump vowed.

On experimental treatments, Trump said there are some that "look like they’re miracles coming down from God."

Trump was flown to Walter Reed hospital on Friday, just hours after he first revealed he tested positive for COVID-19.

Jason Miller, the Trump campaign senior adviser, said that he spoke to the president recently and that he said "he's going to defeat this virus… and our campaign is going to defeat the virus."

"Once he gets out of the hospital, he's ready to get back to the campaign trail," Miller told NBC. "He sounded pretty energetic."

"But he said something else that I thought that was important too,' Miller said, "and that was to be careful, and that was to remind folks to wash their hands, use hand sanitizer, make sure that if you can't socially distance, distance to wear a mask. And I thought that was a pretty important message to send and a reminder to the rest of the country."

In extraordinary scenes at the White House on Friday, Trump, 74, was rushed via helicopter to the medical center near Washington DC after he was struck down with coronavirus symptoms – putting the US election in jeopardy with just weeks to go.

Hours after he was transported to the hospital via Marine One, Trump tweeted: "Going well, I think! Thank you to all. LOVE!!!"

After it was reported Trump was "struggling to breathe," Conley said Trump was given a dose of Remdesivir.

The drug, which is used for the treatment of Ebola, SARS, and hepatitis C, is an antiviral medication that is designed to interfere with the virus’s ability to copy its genetic material.  

Remdesivir was approved for emergency use in May amid the outbreak.

Source: Read Full Article