A HORRIFIED mum has revealed how her two-year-old son collapsed "lifeless" on the floor after chewing her nicotine gum.
Little Tommy Balint and older brother Ozzy, four, found the quitting smoking aid in a drawer while mum Sophie was helping their gran redecorate.
The panicked mum, 23, immediately told them to spit it out but within in minutes, Tommy began to sweat and vomit.
He then collapsed on the floor as a neighbour rushed over to give first aid before paramedics took him to hospital.
Sophie, from Port Talbot, said: "It was in their mouths for a couple of minutes and the next thing Tommy starting crying and saying he had a bad belly.
"Within five minutes he started being sick and within about 15 or 20 minutes he was lifeless lying on the floor. He couldn't lift his arms and his eyes were rolling."
The doctor who saw Tommy was shocked, he had never seen anything like this. He had no idea how toxic it is
Thankfully Tommy had vomited up most of the nicotine gum – with medics telling Sophie his organs could have shut down if he'd eaten the whole pack.
The toddler was given tests at the hospital but was released after a couple of hours and is back to normal now.
Sophie said: "The doctor who saw Tommy was shocked, he had never seen anything like this. He had no idea how toxic it is."
According to the NHS, large amounts of nicotine can prove "life threatening" to children.
Symptoms of nicotine toxicity overdose or poisoning including vomiting, sweating, drowsiness, shaking, confusion and seizures.
Sophie is now warning other parents about the dangers of "poisonous" nicotine products on children.
She said: "In the house you wouldn't keep paracetamol in a drawer but there might be chewing gum. People don't know about this.
"It was so scary. He's normally such a busy boy, he doesn't stop talking, so to see him lifeless [was terrifying]. All he remembers is being sick and going into the ambulance.
"He's quite big for his age, if he was little and skinny for his age I don't want to think about what could have happened."
Source: Read Full Article