This Morning's Eamonn Holmes slams Meghan Markle and Prince Harry over Oprah interview as he brands it an 'advert'

This Morning's Eamonn Holmes slams Meghan Markle and Prince Harry over Oprah interview as he brands it an 'advert'

THIS Morning's Eamonn Holmes slammed Meghan Markle and Prince Harry over their Oprah interview.

The presenter, 61, branded the interview an "advert" after it emerged the couple will take part in a 90-minute special interview with the chat show host.

Eamonn said because Oprah "is a mate" with the royal couple, it is a marketing tactic rather than an interview.

Speaking to royal correspondent Camilla Tominey and LBC's Nick Ferrari, he said: "Well, it's not an interview really, is it? It's an ad, really. I mean, Oprah's a mate, Oprah was at her wedding.

"Meghan's mum stayed with Oprah at her home as a house guest. So it's not an interview as such."

Camilla replied: "Well, I don't think she's going to be throwing really difficult questions at Meghan and admittedly it's going to be hugely sympathetic because, as you say, they're friends.


"Though interestingly, it's been pointed out that they'd only met once before Oprah turned up at the royal wedding in Windsor castle in May 2018.

"But yes, I think it's going to be a soft soap kind of an interview."

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will appear in a bombshell 90-minute special with the chatshow queen – expected to reveal details about their new life.

The interview special – set to be aired on March 7 – has been billed as a prime time special that will see Meghan, 39, speak about topics ranging from “stepping into life as a royal, marriage, motherhood, philanthropic work, to how she is handling life under intense public pressure".

And Oprah Winfrey's best pal Gayle King today said nothing would be off-limits in the interview.


Speaking on her CBS show, the chatshow host said: "I'm told that nothing is off limits. She can ask anything she wants."

But despite CBS making the bombshell announcement yesterday – just a day after Meghan and Harry revealed they were expecting baby number two – it has been claimed the interview has not been recorded yet.

ITV today reported the sitdown chat was instead expected to be recorded this week.

Royal reporter Chris Ship said the Sussexes had been planning to reveal the Oprah interview after it was recorded but said "it didn't work out that way".

It is unclear why the decision was made to announce news of the interview before it had taken place.

CBS said in a statement: "Winfrey will speak with Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex, in a wide-ranging interview, covering everything from stepping into life as a Royal, marriage, motherhood, philanthropic work to how she is handling life under intense public pressure.

"Later, the two are joined by Prince Harry as they speak about their move to the US and their future hopes and dreams for their expanding family."

The primetime special, titled Oprah with Meghan and Harry, will be broadcast on March 7 – with ITV reporting that the deal was signed over the weekend.

In the wake of the announcement, one royal insider has said there is "a great deal of nervousness" at the Palace.

One royal source told the Mirror: "One only has to look at the previous instalments of the tell-all interview to know these things never end up with a wholly positive experience for any party.

"Everyone will be watching with intense interest."

Source: Read Full Article