Surprise TV hit The Masked Singer is to return for a second series.
ITV bosses have secured a deal with production company Bandicoot to bring the wacky show back to screens next year.
The Masked Singer, which last night saw US singer Kelis unmasked as the Daisy, has become a ratings sensation since launching this month.
The bizarre show – in which six celebs perform in masks and costume while a panel tries to work out who they are – has pulled in up to seven million Saturday night viewers.
It is so popular that the BBC were forced to shift their prime Saturday night show The Greatest Dancer to an earlier slot to try to steal a march on its upstart rival.
The Masked Singer is also outperforming established shows such as The Voice and Doctor Who.
An ITV source said: “It was a no-brainer to go for a second series. The show has been a massive hit.
“It’s has the whole country talking. People either love it or hate it
but everyone seems to have an opinion on it.”
The insider added: “After some high-level meetings, everything was agreed and now a second series is definitely happening.
“Everyone at ITV is thrilled The Masked Singer will be back.”
Contestants unmasked so far included football legend Teddy Sheringham, 53, and soap actress Patsy Palmer, 47.
The show first aired in South Korea in 2015 with the title King of Mask Singer. Since then the format has been sold to over 20 countries.
ITV executives want to keep the panellists – singer Rita Ora, 29, American comic Ken Jeong, 50, chat show host Jonathan Ross, 59, and presenter Davina McCall, 52 – for the next series.
They’re also said to be very keen to convince comic Joel Dommett, 34, to stay on as host.
The ITV source said: “Producers would like to keep the same line-up as the show has gone down so well.
“They hope it won’t be hard to convince them to do a new series.”
The current series continues next Saturday on ITV.
Source: Read Full Article