GMB: Ice Cube talks about Meghan and Harry over ‘Compton’ remark
During Monday’s instalment of Good Morning Britain, rapper Ice Cube said the Duke and Duchess of Sussex should have “stuck it out” in the Royal Family to “make changes”.
It’s the first time in seven year’s Ice Cube has addressed the “infamous” headline in the Daily Mail which read, “Harry’s girl is (almost) straight outta Compton”.
The headline was a reference to the 54-year-old rapper’s debut album which was released 35 years ago this month.
Compton is a place in south central Los Angeles which has historically been linked to gang violence and the headline sparked uproar at the time.
North America correspondent Noel Phillips told ITV viewers: “It created a national conversation about race because of the way it was describing Meghan coming from the area despite her not coming from Compton at all.
READ MORE Sussexes face ‘sink or swim’ moment with new Netflix deal ‘last roll of dice’
He continued: “In their Netflix documentary Harry and Meghan, they said it was a horrible experience and Ice Cube said he understood their decision to leave Britain in order to pursue happiness, but believes they would have had a much bigger impact had they stayed in the Royal Family.”
Speaking on Good Morning Britain, the rapper said: “Some great people come out of Compton, some of them are better than the people who come out of Beverly Hills.
“It was a very off-coloured joke but I think when you are in the house you can make more changes to the house than when you are outside of the house.
Harry and Meghan face disaster on TikTok – and get beaten by William and Kate[UDDATE ]
Meghan Markle acting return ‘seems likely’ and Netflix ‘making sneaky moves'[INSIGHT ]
Princess Kate will ‘never forgive’ Meghan Markle for ‘ultimate betrayal'[LATEST]
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
“So that is kind of my opinion. If they stuck it out they might have been able to make some changes.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped down from their roles as senior royals in 2020 to move to America and start a new life.
They opened up about their decision in their Netflix documentary series Harry and Meghan which was released last December.
Within the six-part series, Harry claimed his wife felt suicidal in 2019 due to the pressures she felt at the time.
“I was devastated, I knew that she was struggling – that we were both struggling – but I never thought that it would get to that stage,” the father-of-two shared.
“I felt angry and ashamed. I didn’t deal with it particularly well. I dealt with it as institutional Harry as opposed to husband Harry,” he added.
“What took over my feelings was my royal role. I had been trained to worry more about, ‘What are people gonna think if we don’t go to this event? We’re going to be late.’ Looking back at it now, I hate myself for it.”
Good Morning Britain airs on weekdays at 6am on ITV and ITVX.
Source: Read Full Article