COUNTDOWN'S new presenter Colin Murray has broken his silence on his latest telly role – vowing to "earn the respect" of co-host Rachel Riley.
Channel 4 sources confirmed to The Sun today that the BBC Radio 5 live presenter, 45, will be taking on the Countdown reins "until autumn."
They told us of Colin's plum new role replacing telly veteran Anne Robinson, 77, and said: "Colin started filming on set in Salford yesterday.
"He will be in the show until late Autumn."
The broadcaster has now spoken out, uploading a video to Twitter showing him stepping inside his new dressing room, adorned with a Countdown sign bearing his name.
In the caption, Colin made a football-related quip as he wrote: "I’m like the assistant manager, given the job until end of season.
READ MORE COUNTDOWN
Anne Robinson’s Countdown replacement has already started filming
Rachel Riley beams as she leaves Countdown filming after Anne Robinson quits
"Earn respect of dressing room (@susie_dent @RachelRileyRR), get some points on the board, try to win a trophy! 75 games to get it right! 🤣
"Absolute honour. Fav show ever. July 14 to start of Nov.🙌"
A spokesperson for the show today confirmed a permanent replacement host had not yet been decided.
A source told the Mirror of Colin: "He knows the team and gets on really well with Rachel, they are good friends off screen.
Most read in News TV
hard to read
BBC Breakfast’s Sally Nugent struggles to speak during tribute to Deborah
hard to read
Susanna Reid chokes up as she hails The Sun's 'inspirational' Deborah James
Heartbroken Joe Wicks left in tears after family discovery in new BBC doc
Affairs, attacks and boozing – Dennis Waterman's wild life in his own words
"No one knows what is going to happen beyond the autumn in terms of hosting, but if Colin does want the job, he is in the right place to show why he should get it."
Colin currently hosts his own radio show on BBC Five Live.
Meanwhile Anne announced she would be leaving Countdown this month.
The Weakest Link presenter quit the tea-time Channel 4 series after just a year in the hot seat – months after The Sun revealed her feud with co-star Rachel.
The TV star – who was the sixth host of the Channel 4 quiz show – told the Daily Mail: "I've had a blast hosting this wonderful show.
"And I stayed longer than I signed up for. Now it is time for an older woman to take the reins.
"I hope too I've encouraged TV bosses to realise that not all women at the wrong end of their seventies are in care homes playing bingo and watching conjuring tricks.
"In fact the genius of Countdown is that it's a brilliant way to keep the brain exercised. I run 5k most days of the week.
"And I can now do an anagram at twice the speed I could this time last year.
"But I have grandchildren, a large garden and a home in New York, all deserving more of my attention."
Anne will remain on our screens until the summer.
Read More on The Sun
I’m an expert – here’s why a dry mouth could be a sign of something serious
Gemma Collins reveals shrinking figure as she strips to hot pink swimsuit
We revealed in November that Anne clashed with maths whizz Rachel, 35, over dressing rooms, make-up artists and wardrobe budgets backstage.
Channel 4 declined to comment at the time, but Anne later admitted: "I'm hard to please".
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun Showbiz team?
Email [email protected] or call us direct on 0207 782 4220 .
We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.
Source: Read Full Article