It’s a TV. It’s a streaming service. It’s Sky Glass
Comcast’s Sky didn’t just ditch satellite dishes in the UK, it totally bypassed the cable box and also wants to replace your living room TV. On Thursday, Sky unveiled Sky Glass, its own TV with Sky service built right in.
The new app-filled smart TV, which of course works over wifi, will be available for purchase on Oct. 18 in the UK. It will launch in Sky’s other European markets in 2022.
Sky Glass TV’s comes in three sizes — Small (43”) Medium (55”) and Large (65”) — and five colors: Ocean blue, Ceramic white, Racing green, Dusky pink, or Anthracite black. See those colors and find more information here.
Sky customers can buy Sky Glass outright or add it to their monthly bill. The monthly price for the 43” TV starts at£13. (A Sky Ultimate TV subscription itself, which includes Netflix, costs£26 per month.) Add£4 per month for the 55” and£8 for the 65” option.
Below are the current key features for the hardware/software combo, straight from Sky’s presentation. (So yeah, they spell “favorite” and “colors” differently than us.)
- The only TV with Sky and all your favourite apps inside
- Buy your TV like you buy your mobile phone with flexible payments
- Cutting-edge design available in five colours and three sizes
- Ultra HD and Quantum Dot technology producing over 1 billion colours
- 360° Dolby Atmos® sound with powerful built-in speakers and sub-woofer
- Talk to your TV: just say “Hello Sky” to find what to watch
- The world’s first TV to be certified as a CarbonNeutral® product
Next year, Sky Glass will launch a 4K smart camera that will make video chatting pretty darn cool.
“Sky Glass is the streaming TV with Sky inside, providing the total integration of hardware, software and content,” Dana Strong, the group chief executive at Sky, said Thursday in a statement. “Built on over 30 years of understanding what our customers want, this is a TV that only Sky could make. We believe this is the smartest TV available, and that customers will love it.”
Source: Read Full Article