Wimbledon tickets to go on sale at 1pm TOMORROW

Wimbledon tickets to go on sale at 1pm TOMORROW

Wimbledon tickets to go on sale at 1pm TOMORROW as fans get ready to snap up a spot at this summer’s tournament – which will have a FULL capacity crowd for finals weekend on July 10 and 11 despite Government’s decision to push back Freedom Day

  • Wimbledon is set to take place this summer after it was cancelled last year 
  • July 10 and 11 will have a full-capacity crowd despite ongoing Covid restrictions
  • Tickets are set to go on sale on Thursday at 1pm through the tournament website
  • People attending will need proof of vaccination or a recent negative Covid test 

Wimbledon will put its expanded number of tickets on sale at 1pm on Thursday as it rapidly adjusts to new government instructions.

Those wishing to attend will have to register at ‘myWimbledon’ through the website before midnight this evening to have a first bite at the opening online allocation.

People attending SW19 will need to provide certification of a recent negative Covid test to get in or proof of being double vaccinated, but will be allowed to roam freely in the grounds.

Wimbledon is getting ready to host fans again this year after the 2020 event was cancelled

Centre Court will house a full crowd on July 10 and 11 despite Freedom Day being pushed back

Prize money for this year’s event has been finally announced, with a small reduction on the last time the tournament was held in 2019.

The total will be a shade over £35million with the singles winners getting £1.7m each, a considerable uplift on what was given at the French Open. As has been the trend in recent Grand Slams there is support for those going out earlier with first round losers being given £48,000.

Chief Executive Sally Bolton explained that there were considerable costs incurred by being Covid compliant, including ‘several million’ being spent on the official bubble hotels that players and tournament staff are being housed in.

Fans will need to provide proof of double vaccination or a recent negative Covid test, but will then be able to move freely around the grounds

Novak Djokovic is the reigning men’s singles holder after beating Roger Federer back in 2019

Bolton rejected accusations made this week by the likes of Gary Neville and Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham that Wimbledon was elitist and somehow getting preferential treatment in ticket capacity.

‘Wimbledon is for everyone,’ she said. ‘We want everyone to experience a welcoming environment. I don’t recognise us as an elitist organisation but clearly people can have their own view.’

Tournament Director Jamie Baker said that Naomi Osaka is still on the entry list for the tournament, despite pulling out of her grass court warm-up in Germany.

The courts at SW19 are being prepared ready for the tournament to begin on June 28

He also said that players will be told not to sign autographs or have selfies with fans, as part of staying in the Minimised Risk Environment.

All England Club Chairman Ian Hewitt said: ‘It is with great enthusiasm and excitement that we are putting the finishing touches to our preparation for The Championships this year, and the return of the world’s best players to our grass courts, with ticket-holders in the stands. 

‘We very much look forward to staging an event that is a success for all, inspires players and fans alike, and creates a spotlight for tennis, and sport, in the UK and around the world.’




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article