UFC rolls on this weekend with a massive UFC 252 card from Las Vegas.
The heavyweight world title is on the line as Stipe Miocic defends his belt against Daniel Cormier.
UFC pound-for-pound rankings
THERE'S been a big change in how the UFC rank their fighters as of January 2020.
For the first time, male and female competitors have been picked separately in their own 15-strong lists.
It followed a call from many in the MMA community to separate the rankings which were previously mixed.
Bruno Massami, one of the UFC’s ranking panellists, confirmed via his social media that the changes would take place in late January.
He wrote: “Breaking: I have a good news to you. Finally, UFC was decided to separate the P4P Rankings. We will have Men's and Women’s P4P Rankings now.”
How are rankings determined?
THERE'S eight main weight classes for men in the UFC, ranging from flyweight up to heavyweight.
Jones dominates in the light heavyweight division, while some fighters like Conor McGregor had previously appeared on two lists due to their prowess at different weights.
Here's how the UFC decide their pound-for-pound rankings:
- Rankings are generated by a voting panel made up of media members.
- The media members are asked to vote for who they feel are the top fighters in the UFC by weight-class and pound-for-pound.
- A fighter is only eligible to be voted on if they are in active status in the UFC.
- A fighter can appear in more than one weight division at a time.
- The champion and interim champion are considered to be in the top positions of their respective divisions and therefore are not eligible for voting by weight class.
- However, the champions can be voted on for the pound-for-pound rankings.
UFC men (latest update as of August 14, 2020)
- Jon Jones
- Khabib Nurmagomedov
- Stipe Miocic
- Israel Adesanya
- Kamaru Usman
- Daniel Cormier
- Alexander Volkanovski
- Max Holloway
- Dustin Poirier
- Justin Gaethje
- Conor McGregor
- Petr Yan
- Deiveson Figueiredo
- Robert Whittaker
- Tony Ferguson
UFC Women (latest update as of August 14, 2020)
- Amanda Nunes
- Weili Zhang
- Valentina Shevchenko
- Rose Namajunas
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk
- Jessica Andrade
- Tatiana Suarez
- Holly Holm
- Germaine De Randamie
- Aspen Ladd
- Katlyn Chookagian
- Claudia Gadelha
- Cynthia Calvillo
- Julianna Pena
- Nina Ansaroff
Source: Read Full Article