Transfer news LIVE: Gareth Bale to Tottenham LATEST, Messi returns to training, Depay move to Barcelona gets closer – The Sun

Transfer news LIVE: Gareth Bale to Tottenham LATEST, Messi returns to training, Depay move to Barcelona gets closer – The Sun

LIONEL MESSI is staying at Barcelona – and the Catalan giants are trying to partner him with Lautaro Martinez.

Meanwhile we've the very latest on Gareth Bale and potential interest from Spurs, while Aston Villa are on the cusp of signing Ollie Watkins from Brentford.

Sign up to play Dream Team 2020/21 now

  • It's completely free to play
  • Play the tradtional Season game as well as Draft
  • There's a £100k jackpot up for grabs across 2020/21
  • SIGN UP TO PLAY HERE

Get all the latest transfer news, updates and gossip here…

  • BAT FLIES WITH EAGLES

    Michy Batshuayi has passed his medical at Crystal Palace ahead of his return to Selhurst Park on loan.

    The Belgian striker, 26, arrives fresh off a two-goal haul for his country against Iceland.

    According to Belgian publication Het Nieuwsblad, he has passed his tests and will be unveiled as a Palace player soon.

    Batshuayi signed a contract extension at Chelsea recently, with the club hoping to make money out of selling him eventually.

  • WE'RE NOT LIKE YOU GUYS

    Jurgen Klopp has told Chelsea that Liverpool won’t even try and match their spending power.

    The Premier League-winning gaffer said: “For some clubs it seems less important how uncertain the future is. Owned by countries, owned by oligarchs, that's the truth. We are a different kind of club.'

    “We got to the Champions League final two years ago, we won it last year.

    “We became Premier League champions last season by being the club we are.

    “We cannot change it overnight and say ‘now we want to behave like Chelsea.’

    “They are signing a lot of players. That can be an advantage, but that means they have to fit together.”

  • WE’D BENZ OVER BACKWARDS

    Lyon are “dreaming” of a return of Real Madrid star Karim Benzema before he retires.

    The 32-year-old moved to the Bernabeu in 2009, the same summer as Cristiano Ronaldo arrived in the Spanish capital.

    And Benzema has long been tipped for a return to the club where he made his name as one of the hottest young forwards in football.

    Sporting director and Lyon legend Juninho – who played with Benzema during his emergence – said: “It's everyone's dream here to see him come back home to do maybe two seasons, play the Champions League with us, score goals, help us have good results, be a leader, carry the armband, bring all his experience with his four victories in C1.”

  • FAN PLAN IN BALANCE

    Prem boss Richard Masters has admitted he is in the dark over when fans will be allowed back into grounds, reports MARTIN LIPTON.

    League chiefs had hoped to open all turnstiles from October 1 with a staged return of supporters for the first time since March.

    Clubs including Spurs and Manchester United were keen to run trials of selected fans at their opening home game of the campaign this month.

    But with the Government having banned “social” gatherings of more than six people and Doncaster races putting the final three days of the St Leger meeting behind closed doors, Masters was unable to say how it will affect Prem plans.

    He said: “We are always subject to a government decision and they haven't made that decision yet.

    “All I can say is that the Premier League and the Premier League clubs stand ready willing and able to continue with our test events and test proposals and open our turnstiles from October 1 if we are given permission to do so.”

  • GOING, GOING, GUEN?

    Paris Saint-Germain are reportedly considering a move for Matteo Guendouzi.

    Arsenal are hoping to sell the Frenchman for £30million this summer to raise transfer funds.

    According to Football London, PSG are plotting a move for the Gunners star.

    Guendouzi played for the French side's academy from 2005 until 2014 when he left to join Lorient.

    The Ligue 1 giants have been monitoring his progress ever since – but they are not the only club that want him.

    Spanish side Valencia have held talks with Arsenal over a move for Guendouzi.

  • TELL ME MORE

    Manchester United have been offered the chance to sign Porto left-back Alex Telles for £22.7million, according to reports.

    According to Duncan Castles, Telles was one option – although Paris Saint-Germain are also interested.

    He told the Transfer Window Podcast: “[United] have been looking for a left-sided, left-footed centre-back and a left-back, or a full-back of some type, preferably a left-footed left-back.

    “I can tell you that they've been offered the Porto left-back Alex Telles.

    “Twenty-seven years old, relatively cheap wages, €2m [£1.8m] gross but out of contract in June 2021.

    “Porto, I'm told, want €25m [£22.7m] for the player who has been offered to Paris Saint-Germain, that deal hasn't been able to be concluded.”

  • ANNOUNCE AUBA!

    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's new contract is expected to be announced this week, with Arsenal fans expecting the Gabon star to stay at the Emirates.

    The star striker's current deal expires in less than a year's time, but supporters have been left on tenterhooks all summer as to an announcement over the deal.

    Aubameyang has dropped a series of hints since the Gunners won the FA Cup final as to whether he will be staying beyond next summer.

    According to ESPN, Arsenal are expected to announce the new deal before the opening Premier League clash against Fulham on Saturday.

  • GOOD MORNING FOOTBALL FANS

    Newcastle have launched a fresh attack on the Premier League after their Saudi takeover was officially rejected.

    And the Magpies have vowed to consider “all available options” as they hit back at the governing body and Richard Masters, its chief executive.

    It read: “This conclusion has been reached despite the club providing the Premier League with overwhelming evidence and legal opinions that PIF is independent and autonomous of the Saudi Arabian government.

    “The club and its owners do not accept that Premier League chief executive Richard Masters and the Premier League have acted appropriately in relation to this matter and will be considering all relevant options available to them.”

    It added: “Mike Ashley understands fans’ frustrations and would like to reassure them that he has been fully committed to ensuring this takeover process reached completion as he felt it was in the best interests of the club.

    “Mike continues to be fully supportive to Steve Bruce, the players and all the staff and wishes them well for the upcoming season.”

    Meanwhile, former Toon star Georginio Wijnaldum is set to have talks with Jurgen Klopp over his future after being linked with a move to Barcelona.

    Ronald Koeman wants to bring the former Newcastle midfielder to the Nou Camp and the 29-year-old would jump at the chance of playing for another one of the world's biggest clubs.

    Sky Sports News report that the Dutchman WILL be in Klopp's squad when Liverpool face Leeds on Saturday.

    And finally. Alphonse Areola has joined Fulham on a season-long loan from Pars Saint-Germain.

    The French keeper spent last season providing back-up for Real Madrid No1 Thibaut Courtois, 28.

    But having returned to PSG, the Ligue 1 champions had no plans to keep him.

    Areola, 27, will now head to West London, with Fulham having the option to make the deal permanent.

  • RED WARNING

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits Manchester United do not have “new millions” as Borussia Dortmund stand firm over Jadon Sancho's fee.

    After being quizzed by Radio Five Live whether he would be OK without any further additions, he appeared to warn the Bundesliga outfit his side will not be held to ransom over the 20-year-old.

    Solskjaer said: “I am very happy working with these players and the squad.

    “We always trying to improve and to see if there’s any way possible that we can improve this squad and bring players in that will have the right level of quality and the right personality and have all the right criteria.

    “We all know this summer and this year has been a very strange one and it’s important that everyone understands that this has an effect on football and not everyone can spend millions and millions, and new millions.”

  • I'LL TISS YOU

    Chris Kamara has revealed he was “gutted” when Sky Sports sacked three of Soccer Saturday's regular panel.

    Matt Le Tissier, Charlie Nicholas and Phil Thompson were removed from the show last month, as SunSport revealed.

    He told the Mail: “Obviously I’m gutted, absolutely gutted.

    “And I know they are. I’ve spoken to Thommo and Charlie and I’ve text Le Tiss… we were such a good team and it was all going well.

    “Decisions were made, we don’t have any say in those. Whoever made [them] has done it and the boys accept it.

    “I can honestly say they are the best fellas you could ever wish to meet.

    “They are top-drawer and it’s been a great time to have worked with them over the past 15 years or so.”

  • LAING GONE

    Cardiff have sacked Nathaniel Mendez-Laing in mysterious circumstances.

    The winger, 28, has departed the Welsh side with immediate effect after his contract termination was announced in a brief 27-word statement.

    There has been no reason given for his departure.

    But WalesOnline claims it is due to an alleged breach of contract.

    Cardiff’s bombshell announcement on Wednesday afternoon read: “Cardiff City Football Club has, with immediate effect, terminated the contract of Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

    “The Club will not be making any further comment on the matter.”

  • TOP VIC

    Victor Moses has donated £20,000 to struggling former side Wigan Athletic.

    The cash-strapped club is in dire straits after administrators were summoned in July, resulting in a 12-point penalty and relegation from the Championship to League One.

    They are desperately looking for new owners to reverse their fortunes.

    But in the meantime, a Supporters’ Club Crowdfunder page has been set up to raise cash and save Wigan from going under.

    Former Lactics favourites including Roberto Martinez, Reece James and James McClean have all stepped forward with donations.

    And now Moses has given £20k to the fundraiser in a touching gesture.

    Wigan tweeted: “Thank you Victor Moses. Victor has pledged a significant donation to Save Our Club!”

    The Chelsea wing-back, 29, starred for Wigan between 2010 and 2012.

  • PLAYING THE WRONG TOON

    Newcastle have launched a fresh attack on the Premier League after their Saudi takeover was officially rejected.

    And the Magpies have vowed to consider “all available options” as they hit back at the governing body and Richard Masters, its chief executive.

    It read: “Newcastle United can confirm that the Premier League has rejected a takeover bid made by PCP Capital Partners, the Reuben Brothers and the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia (PIF) based on its Owners and Directors test.

    “This conclusion has been reached despite the club providing the Premier League with overwhelming evidence and legal opinions that PIF is independent and autonomous of the Saudi Arabian government.

    “The club and its owners do not accept that Premier League chief executive Richard Masters and the Premier League have acted appropriately in relation to this matter and will be considering all relevant options available to them.”

    It added: “Mike Ashley understands fans’ frustrations and would like to reassure them that he has been fully committed to ensuring this takeover process reached completion as he felt it was in the best interests of the club.

    “Mike continues to be fully supportive to Steve Bruce, the players and all the staff and wishes them well for the upcoming season.”

  • FUL OF IT

    Alphonse Areola has joined Fulham on a season-long loan from Pars Saint-Germain.

    The French keeper spent last season providing back-up for Real Madrid No1 Thibaut Courtois, 28.

    But having returned to PSG, the Ligue 1 champions had no plans to keep him.

    Areola, 27, will now head to West London, with Fulham having the option to make the deal permanent.

  • DOR OPEN

    Manchester United have reportedly made a breakthrough over agent fees in their Jadon Sancho pursuit.

    SunSport told you on September 2 that Borussia Dortmund star Sancho has already reached an agreement with United over wages.

    And ESPN now claim the Red Devils have made some progress negotiating agent fees.

    However, United remain locked in talks with Dortmund over a transfer fee after having an initial bid of £70million – rising to £110m in bonuses – rejected.

  • HOUSS THAT?

    Arsenal are set to make a new bid for Lyon's Houssem Aouar.

    The Gunners have prioritised signing a midfielder this window but had a £31.2m PLUS player offer turned down by Lyon.

    According to FabrizioRomano, Arsenal are in talks with Aouar's agent ahead of an improved bid.

    But Lyon have made it clear they will not entertain anything lower than their £54.5m valuation.

    And they are also not interested in any move involving a swap.

  • WALE OF A TIME

    Gareth Bale reportedly returned to Real Madrid training injured – handing Zinedine Zidane another headache.

    Bale played 45 minutes against Finland and the entire game against Bulgaria in Wales' Nations League fixtures.

    Despite leaving international duty having not reported any injuries, according to AS, Bale turned up to Madrid training with a knee problem.

    It is said to have forced him to train away from the first team, joining Marco Asensio, Isco, Mariano and Sergio Reguilon.

    Bale was due to meet with Zidane to discuss his future at the Bernabeu.

    The winger has grown increasingly frustrated in the Spanish capital, managing only 14 starts last season.

    According to Mundo Deportivo, manager Zidane and the Madrid board are willing to let the forward leave.

    It is understood they will even lower their asking price to £22million, having refused to pay off the remaining two years of his contract worth £30.2m.

    Manchester United and Tottenham have both been linked with the forward in the past.

  • BOURNE CONSPIRACY

    Ryan Fraser rubbed further salt into Bournemouth’s wounds by claiming he could have saved them from the drop.

    He said: “With me playing, without being big-headed, I think I would have helped massively.

    “Obviously I made a decision not to play, and got battered for it. Everyone has got their opinions but I need to look after myself.

    “My contract was done so it’s not like I refused to play any games. If the virus didn’t come I would have played every game under my contract.

    “Some lads in the Premier League signed an extension, and fair play to them.

    “But for me, at my age, knowing that this club wanted me, it was just a decision I had to make.”

  • ROD-FREE-GUEZ

    Everton reportedly landed Colombian star James Rodriguez on a FREE transfer despite him having a year left on his Real Madrid contract.

    The Toffees announced the playmaker had signed a two-year-deal on Tuesday.

    Rodriguez is now reunited with Carlo Ancelotti yet again after the Italian signed him for both Real and Bayern Munich.

    And Everton were believed to have paid around £22million for the 29-year-old.

    But no cash actually changed hands, according to Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo.

    Everton's eagerness to bring Rodriguez in was reportedly matched by Real's desire to let him go.

    And as a result, Los Blancos only requested a sell-on percentage in return.

  • LYON IN WAIT

    Lyon are desperate to re-sign Karim Benzema from Real Madrid as part of a three-way transfer tussle with Barcelona.

    The 32-year-old came through Lyon's youth academy before going on to score 66 goals in 148 matches for the Ligue 1 outfit from 2005.

    He left for Real in 2009 and has notched up 249 goals and 135 assists at the Bernabeu in 513 games since.

    And Lyon sporting director Juninho confirmed the club would love to be reunited with their former star.

    He said: “It is our dream that Karim ends with us.

    “It is the dream of everyone at Lyon, to bring him two seasons to play the Champions League and to be our leader and scorer.

    “We need your experience and it would help us win games.”

  • JOEL'S IN TOON

    Steve Bruce has confirmed that Joelinton will remain as Newcastle’s No9 – despite signing Callum Wilson for £20million.

    The Toon boss said: “He’s training now. He’s OK. He’ll remain with the No9 shirt. I’ve spoken to Callum on that.

    “The kid still has a big future and I think he’ll be better for last year.

    “The type of character he is, I’m convinced he’ll roll up his sleeves at the challenge that lies ahead.

    “It’s a big wake-up call and he’s found it difficult. But there are many others who struggle to adapt.

    “That’s why I wanted to go down the route of been there, done it, got the T-shirt with Callum.”

  • FUL OF IT

    Alphonse Areola has passed his medical at Fulham ahead of a transfer, reports say.

    The French keeper spent last season at Real Madrid providing back up for Thibaut Courtois, 28.

    But having returned to PSG, the Ligue 1 champions have no plans to keep him.

    It sparked a transfer pursuit with Arsenal said to be interested in the stopper, but appear to have been edged out by London rivals Fulham.

    According to RMC, Areola has completed a medical with the Premier League side, who beat Brentford in the play-off finals last season.

    The 27-year-old is believed to have agreed a loan move with Scott Parker's side.

  • MEND IS NIGH

    Rennes have confirmed they are in talks with Chelsea to sell Edouard Mendy.

    President Nicolas Holveck said: “We’ve started official negotiations with Chelsea to sell Edouard Mendy.

    “We know the player wants to leave [and join Chelsea].

    “But the agreement at the moment is not 100 per cent completed between the three parties.”

  • 'SIC LEAVE

    Bayern Munich will NOT sign Ivan Perisic on a full-time basis after the Croatia winger helped them win the Treble.

    Perisic, 31, played for Bayern last season on loan from Inter Milan.

    But he now looks set to head back to the San Siro after the arrival of Leroy Sane at the Allianz Arena.

    World Cup finalist Perisic scored eight goals and provided ten assists in Bayern's gung-ho attacking side.

    Hansi Flick said: “I would like to thank Ivan for his performance and contribution to winning the triple. We really enjoyed working with him.

    “Especially in the final round of the Champions League in Lisbon you could see what quality Ivan has. “

  • EXCLUSIVE

    Wolves are ready to open talks over a new contract with boss Nuno Espirito Santo, writes GRAEME BRYCE.

    Molineux chiefs have shown that they mean business by splashing out a club-record £35million on whizkid Fabio Silva, 18, last weekend.

    And now SunSport understands executive chairman Jeff Shi wants to tie his inspirational head coach to a new, three-year deal worth around £4million.

    Wolves are set to sign Porto midfielder Vitor Ferreira, 20, on a season loan this week.

    That deal would seal a hat-trick of summer signings after the stunning swoop for Porto striker Silva — and a £1.8million deal for Lyon’s experiencedleft-back Fernando Marcal, 31.

    Shi hopes this sends a clear message to Nuno that his pleas to strengthen the squad have been heard and acted upon.

Source: Read Full Article