TOTTENHAM have released a statement slamming 'abhorrent' racial abuse of Son Heung-Min following Sunday's 3-1 defeat to Manchester United.
The South Korean star came under attack from sick trolls online in the wake of the loss, which dealt a huge blow to Spurs' top four hopes.
Son was involved in a controversial first-half VAR decision that saw a United goal questionably chalked off.
And the ace has since received vile racist messages on the internet from cowardly trolls.
Spurs put out an official club statement on Sunday night taking aim at the people behind the messages.
And they proudly told Son: We stand with you.
The statement read: “Another matchday and more abhorrent racial abuse suffered by one of our players.
“This has again been reported to the platforms and we shall now undertake a full review alongside the Premier League to determine the most effective action moving forward.
“We stand with you, Sonny.”
Son became the centre of attention when Edinson Cavani put United ahead during a tense first half.
MARK HALSEY’S VIEW
EDINSON CAVANI should not have had a first-half goal disallowed at Tottenham.
I felt Scott McTominay did not commit a foul on Son Heung-Min in the build-up to Cavani’s strike.
It was a slight hand-off by the Manchester United midfielder, the sort you see in every football match and nowhere near enough contact to force the Spurs forward to go down in the matter he did.
The incident wasn’t a clear and obvious error by referee Chris Kavanagh and a subjective decision to allow play to continue.
It was fine for VAR to check Cavani’s resulting goal but official Craig Pawson at Stockley Park should not have recommended a review.
VAR have re-refereed the incident because as soon as Kavanagh went to the monitor he was under huge pressure to overturn his original decision.
Kavanagh should have mentally tough enough to stick with his initial call as he was in an excellent position.
The PGMOL explanation of this incident was nonsense and showed a major lack of understanding of football. Contact in football is not always a foul.
If the officials deemed McTominay was a foul then why wasn’t Paul Pogba punished for a worse action on Serge Aurier earlier in the half?
This is where the inconsistency drives everyone in the game mad and it is no surprise both Jose Mourinho and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said afterwards they don’t understand the decision making anymore.
But the goal was ruled out by VAR and the ref’s touchline monitor after replays showed Son collapsing to the ground after being brushed accidentally in the face by Scott McTominay.
Son looked to be in agony during the incident, enraging United.
And he gave the visitors even more reason to fume when less than five minutes later he put Spurs ahead.
However, a second-half capitulation from the hosts allowed United to score three for the victory.
Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer blasted Son’s behaviour, saying he ‘conned’ the ref with his ‘embarrassing’ actions.
Solskjaer told Sky Sports: “The game has gone, absolutely gone. If that’s a clear and obvious error, it’s one he [the ref] had to look at.
“It was a perfectly good goal, we shouldn’t be conned.
“I have to say, if my son stays down for three minutes and needs ten mates to help him, he won’t get any food because that’s embarrassing.
“We weren’t conned, the ref was.”
Source: Read Full Article