Marcus Rashford calls on men to ‘listen and protect’ women and ‘make them feel safe’ as campaigning Manchester United star speaks out over alleged kidnap and murder of Sarah Everard
- The Metropolitan Police confirmed human remains in Kent were Sarah Everard’s
- She went missing on March 3 while walking home from a friend’s house
- Marcus Rashford reacted to the ‘heartbreaking’ news by offer his sympathies
- The Manchester United star has now called on men to play a more active role
Manchester United star Marcus Rashford has urged men to play a role to help women feel safe following the death of Sarah Everard and offered his condolences to her family.
The Metropolitan Police confirmed on Friday that human remains found in woodland in Ashford, Kent belonged to the 33-year-old marketing executive after she went missing on March 3.
And United star Rashford – who was given an MBE last year after his successful campaign to ensure children were fed during the coronavirus pandemic – reacted to the news, describing it as a ‘heartbreaking’ and something that ‘should never have happened’.
Marcus Rashford has urged men to play a role to make women feel safe after Sarah Everard’s death
The Metropolitan Police confirmed human remains found in Kent belonged to Ms Everard, 33
‘This is just heartbreaking, I’m so sorry,’ he tweeted.
‘This should have never happened. Men we have a role to play. To listen, to protect, and to allow women to feel safe at whatever time of day. I have sisters, nieces… just horrible. I’m sending my love to Sarah’s family.’
England forward Rashford’s comments come after becoming an influential member of society following his campaigns for free school meal funding for children from the Government for the best part of a year.
He forced Prime Minister Boris Johnson into two U-turns over funding last year after it was originally withdrawn by the Government.
He initially set up a petition for the cause which more than a million people signed, and more recently called for a review of the free school meals system across the UK after the poor standard of some food parcels delivered to some struggling families in England in January.
Rashford offered his apologies to her family and said her death ‘should never have happened’
The England star’s comments came after a year in which he has campaigned for free school meals
Ms Everard disappeared while walking home from a friend’s flat in Clapham, south London to her residence in Brixton 10 days ago.
Wayne Couzens, 48, a firearms officer from Scotland Yard’s elite Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command, was charged with her kidnap and murder on Friday night after more than three days of questioning by murder detectives.
Couzens is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court later on Saturday.
Speaking outside Scotland Yard, Assistant Commissioner Nick Ephgrave added Miss Everard’s family had been told this ‘most distressing news’.
He said: ‘As you know, on Wednesday evening detectives investigating the disappearance of Sarah Everard discovered a body secreted in woodland in Kent.
Charged: Wayne Couzens, 48, has been charged with the kidnap and murder of Ms Everard
‘The body has now been recovered and formal identification procedure has now been undertaken. I can now confirm that it is the body of Sarah.’
He said his ‘thoughts and prayers, and those of the entire organisation’ remain with Miss Everard’s family ‘at this awful time’.
He added: ‘Specialist officers remain in constant contact with Sarah’s family, and will continue to support them throughout the investigation and beyond.
‘That investigation continues at a pace and we have hundreds of officers working round the clock to establish the full circumstances of Sarah’s disappearance, and her murder.’
The marketing executive disappeared while walking home to Brixton, London, on March 3
‘I would like at this stage to pay tribute to Sarah’s family for their fortitude and forbearance through what can only have been the most intensely difficult few days. Our thoughts remain with them as this matter progresses.’
Her suspected kidnap and murder has caused anger over the safety of women on the country’s streets.
Women across the UK have shared their experiences of violence and harassment they have and continue to experience.
A ‘Reclaim These Streets’ vigil was due to take place at Clapham Common bandstand on Saturday, but organisers have lost their legal fight after a High Court judged refused to overturn the police’s ban citing Covid-19 rules.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article