Jockey Major Charlie O'Shea 'under sedation in intensive care with serious chest injuries' after horror Wincanton fall

Jockey Major Charlie O'Shea 'under sedation in intensive care with serious chest injuries' after horror Wincanton fall

JOCKEY Major Charlie O'Shea is in intensive care with 'serious chest injuries' after his horror Wincanton fall.

An update on the amateur jockey said he is 'under sedation' in Bristol Southmead Hospital.

O'Shea unseated from Paudie at the second fence in the New John Dufosee Novices' Hunters' Chase on Sunday.

He was airlifted to hospital with the rest of the meeting cancelled.

An Injured Jockeys Fund statement on Monday said: "Following a fall at Wincanton on Sunday, amateur jockey Major Charlie O’Shea received immediate treatment for serious chest injuries from the onsite medical team before being evacuated to Bristol Southmead Hospital.

"He is currently under sedation in Intensive Care and there will be another update when he has been assessed and treated further and more information is available.

"His wife Kate and family are grateful for the care he has received so far."

O'Shea, 40, served with 29 Commando Regiment Royal Artillery for much of his time as a regular and now lives in Cornwall.

Most read in Horse Racing


How Grand National winner Sam Waley-Cohenhelped Kate and William reunite


Racing abandoned as jockey suffers horror fall and two air ambulances required


Racing at Wincanton abandoned after jockey O'Shea airlifted to hospital


Templegate NAP can get week off to flyer at Pontefract from a lowly mark

He is now a naval gunfire liaison officer in the Royal Artillery reserves and recently won the historic Royal Artillery Gold Cup at Sandown on Rolling Dylan.

The amateur jockey has five wins to his name under rules.

Describing the scene at the time of his fall, Wincanton clerk of the course Daniel Cooper said: "Charlie unseated in the last race and received medical attention.

"The doctors wanted to focus on that and we only had a bumper to go, we felt we needed to focus on that with the medical resources we had.

"A second air ambulance was also in attendance and following assessment by the expert medical team on course, Charlie O'Shea was conscious and transported to Southmead Hospital.

"We extend our best wishes to Charlie and further updates will be provided by the Amateur Jockeys Association as soon as possible."

Top jockey Daryl Jacob was among those sending best wishes to O'Shea.

He wrote on Twitter: "Sending our love and prayers."

    Source: Read Full Article