DAVID DE GEA conceded his 36th penalty in a row before missing his own spot-kick.
The Manchester United goalkeeper, 30, suffered Europa League final heartbreak with his crucial effort from 12 yards.
But while he would not have been expected to be required to find the net with his strike, the Spaniard failed to keep out any of Villarreal's 11 penalties, including goalkeeper Geronimo Rulli's, in a dramatic shootout finale.
That extended the £375,000-a-week star's miserable unwanted record between the sticks for spot-kicks to 36 without a single save for club and country.
Incredibly, the last time De Gea did keep one out was more than five years ago – the 11th penalty save of his career.
He denied then-Everton striker Romelu Lukaku's attempt in the FA Cup semi-final on April 23, 2016.
Since then, Lukaku has signed for United for £75m, left for Inter for £73m, won the Serie A title and been linked with a return to the Premier League.
Interestingly, in that same time period, Dean Henderson – left on the bench tonight – has eight penalty saves, six of those in senior football.
Three of those came with Shrewsbury in 2017-18, two on loan at Sheffield United including to deny Gabriel Jesus last year, and one in the Europa League earlier this season for United.
The other two were with England Under-21s at the Euros in 2019, both against France.
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE
WIN £50,000 with Dream Team Euros
Dream Team Euros is HERE!
The best fantasy football game to accompany Euro 2020 has arrived.
And you can play absolutely FREE for your chance to win the £50,000 jackpot.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR FREE!
Dream Team Euros
- £50,000 jackpot
- The best fantasy football game this summer
- Play in mini-leagues against your mates, colleagues, family members – and some hand-picked celebrities
- FREE to play
- 🏆WIN £50,000! Play Dream Team Euros – our FREE fantasy football game
- ⚽️Euro squads: All of the players picked for the tournament so far
- 🏴Euro 2020 betting special: England 35/1 to beat Croatia in Group D opener
- ⚽️Fixtures: Work out when to watch all your Euro 2020 matches
- 🏴Euro 2020 betting special: Get England at 20/1 to wear their home kit against Croatia during Wembley opener
- ⚽️Build-up LIVE: All the latest news and updates from around the teams
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer threw on Juan Mata and Alex Telles in the final moments of extra-time and they duly dispatched their penalties.
But he opted against a Tim Krul-esque switch of goalkeeper for a penalty-saving specialist.
The crushing defeat means United's wait for a trophy will stretch into a fifth year.
Source: Read Full Article