ANDY RUIZ Jr insists his rematch against Anthony Joshua will not take place in Saudi Arabia – and says "real news" about the showdown is coming soon.
Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn held a press conference on Monday to confirm the fight will take place in Diriyah on December 7.
Matchroom boss Hearn had been looking at bringing the bout to the UK.
But WBO, WBA and IBF champ Ruiz, 29, refused to travel to the UK to rematch Joshua, voicing concerns after Dillian Whyte was cleared to box Oscar Rivas last month despite an "adverse finding" in a pre-fight drug test.
Ruiz has talked about wanting to bring the fight to the US – AJ suffered his stunning defeat at Madison Square Garden in New York.
Ruiz said in an Instagram live video: "I know everybody's talking about the fight and all but we got the real news coming soon.
"The fight is going to happen soon. I'm trying to give hope, give motivation to all my people."
Ruiz filmed the clip while on a plane to Mexico City to film an advert.
Hearn, 40, believes Saudi is the perfect venue for the fight and he moved to quash rumours Ruiz Jr, who stunned the world by beating Joshua in June, had not signed for the rematch.
He said: "I read several reports… both fighters have signed for this rematch fight.
"Both fighters have signed for the rematch and all governing bodies have confirmed the dates for this."
But asked about having the rematch in America, Ruiz said: "Of course. It's going to be on my terms, our terms, we're going to bring it back here in the United States."
Part of the reason is that Mexican Ruiz has concerns for his safety in Saudi Arabia.
He added: "It's like I said, I don't have no protection over there."
Heavyweight legend Lennox Lewis does not believe the fight will take place in the Gulf state.
He wrote on Twitter: "Until I see see both fighters signed on the bottom line, I don’t believe it.
"Although I wouldn’t mind seeing it in Mexico, I would think Hearn would angle for the Cardiff or Wembley, or worse comes to worse, NYC again."
Source: Read Full Article