POLICE are hunting armed robbers who broke into Chelsea star Alvaro Morata’s home while his wife and two children were inside.
The burglars struck on Friday night as the 26-year-old was in the Faroe Islands for Spain’s Euro 2020 qualifier.
Police sources told Spanish media both intruders were armed. They are thought to have got into the property in the exclusive neighbourhood of La Moraleja north of Madrid via an upstairs window.
Morata’s Italian wife Alice Campello and their twin sons Alessandro and Leonardo, one next month, are said to have been inside along with a nanny but none were harmed.
But the terrifying incident has left the family feeling scared and shaken.
Neither the footballer, currently on loan to Atletico Madrid, or his partner have made any official comment.
The burglars are believed to have taken a number of valuables during their raid, mainly jewellery and designer watches, which happened around 11pm on Friday.
Morata was told about the break-in at the end of Spain’s 4-1 away victory against the Faroe Islands.
Police were not available for comment early this morning.
Criminals regularly target footballers’ homes when they know they are playing matches and are away from home.
At the start of last month two burglars broke into the home of Barcelona midfielder Arthur Melo and reportedly threatened his brother with a weapon.
The break-in happened during Barcelona’s 3-0 Champions League semi-final victory against Liverpool on May 1.
The two criminals are understood to have taken valuables including jewellery and a Rolex watch.
In February burglars broke into former Premier League star Kevin Prince Boateng’s rented home in the upmarket Barcelona neighbourhood of Sarria and took around £250k of valuables and cash as he was playing against Valladolid.
It later emerged it was the same house targeted by criminals last November when Barca left-back Jordi Alba was living there, and was on his way to Italy for a Champions League tie against Inter.
Another Barca star was stung In June last year when burglars broke into the luxury home of Gerard Pique and his singer partner Shakira.
The footballer’s parents were said to have been asleep inside the mansion in Esplugues de Llobregat when the break-in occurred. They were unharmed.
Pique had travelled to the German city of Cologne were Shakira was performing and was not at home at the time.
The criminals, described as “professionals” who left no fingerprints, reportedly took watches and expensive jewellery after timing their break-in to coincide with a storm which muffled any noise they were making.
In February last year burglars broke into former Liverpool star’s Philippe Coutinho’s home near Barcelona on the same day his car was towed away.
The midfielder had to get his Audi Q7 back from a municipal pound after visiting the famous Sagrada Familia monument with family and friends and leaving it badly parked.
Worse was to come when he returned to his luxury villa in Castelldefels a 30-minute drive south of the Catalan capital to find it had been burgled.
The thieves are thought to have taken advantage of two ladders that had been left by a neighbouring property where work is going on to enter the mansion, the old home of Chelsea star Cesc Fabregas.
The thieves struck while the 26-year-old, who joined Barcelona for £145m in January last year, was out for dinner after recovering his car.
Coutinho was enjoying some down-time with his wife Aine and friends after staying behind in while his team-mates travelled to Chelsea for their Champions League tie because he was ineligible to play in the competition.
Burglars also targeted Real Madrid star Raphael Varane’s home in December 2016 after he forgot to put his alarm on before leaving to play his last Champions League group stage match against Borussia Dortmund.
The French defender returned to find thousands of pounds worth of jewellery, cash, clothes and household accessories missing.
In November 2016 burglars stole designer watches and jewellery during a raid on the home of former Real Madrid and Barcelona star Luis Figo.
They are believed to have forced their way in through a first-floor terrace door after climbing the front of the house in the Madrid neighbourhood of Parque de Conde de Orgaz a short drive from Varane’s home.
Morata claimed recently only the Spanish players in the Chelsea squad would pass to him. He also said he had no wish to return to London.
The striker, who scored 24 goals in 72 games after being signed by the Blues in 2017 from Real Madrid for £65m, said: "At Chelsea there came a time when my team-mates, except for the Spaniards, well… you know, it is not the same when you play and you know that you give a pass to someone who is not going to do as well.
"You do not give the pass in the same way. Everyone who has played football once will understand that.
"I want to stay at Atletico but, contractually, Chelsea can call me back.
"We will see what happens in the negotiations between them, but the two clubs already know what I want."
Source: Read Full Article