The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox
A man who was once described as the 'world's unluckiest man' has sadly died in a house fire.
Paul Murphy, 62, had previously overcome a heroin addiction and beat cancer, as well as surviving several car crashes and robberies.
But he tragically died in a house fire just three weeks ago at his home in Clemton Park, southwestern Sydney.
An investigation found that he must have fallen asleep after deciding to cook some chips in the early hours of August 29.
Paul hit the headlines in 2013 after sticking up signs around his neighbourhood appealing for a set of dentures he had lost during a rare night out, reports au.news.com, which chronicled the ordeal.
Then 55 years old, the pensioner was forced to appeal for his set after he could not afford a new pair.
He had only removed them because they were uncomfortable to wear after he was hit in the face during a home invasion at his flat.
The poster said: “Lost dentures. Upper and lower … owner far too drunk, fell over, a few too many times. I am a pensioner & desperately need my teeth. Reward offered”.
While they were never returned, Paul became friends with journalist Candace Sutton who kept in touch with him.
He told her of the tragic life events that had led to him developing a heroin addiction while attending high school.
Due to his dyslexia, he never secured a solid education and his parents sent him to rehab.
He was subjected to an extreme electroconvulsive treatment known as deep-sleep therapy.
The hospital where this took place was later investigated for psychiatric malpractice, reports news.com.au.
Patients endured an highly intrusive treatment which required them to be placed into a coma – sometimes for up to 39 days.
At least 27 patients died following the treatment – with 24 deaths recorded as suicide.
Mr Murphy received 42 electric shocks over his 14-day stay and left the centre still addicted to heroin.
He began working as a car valuer but had to undergo $7000 (£4,000) worth of dentistry after crashing into another car in 1976.
He later lost his license following a slew of speeding tickets and became a car detailer instead.
He opened a car shop next to a funeral home and things seemed like they were improving.
But his business was burnt to the ground when the funeral parlour next door was firebombed because a gang member's body had been brought in.
Late on his insurance payments, Mr Murphy lost everything and started using heroin again.
He then spent the next 19 years in and out of prison – primarily for drug related offences.
But he got clean after leaving jail in 2005 and began carrying out odd jobs for cash.
In 2009, he moved into a housing commission flat and things seemed to be going well.
But he was attacked by a local teenager who swung a baseball bat into his shoulder, smashing several bones.
Then on New Year's Day in 2011, a motorbike rider crashed into him after speeding through traffic lights.
The crash left him with a broken collar bone, shoulder, seven ribs and sternum.
But he used the compensation to purchase tools and an electric bike so he could travel to his handyman jobs.
But his flat was broken in too not long after with thieves stealing everything.
In an horrific incident in 2012, a vicious home invasion saw three men in balaclavas storm the flat and hit him in the face with a steel bar, knocking out his one remaining tooth.
Another violent incident saw a balaclava-clad thug spray fuel on his arm and set him on fire, but incredibly he survived.
Asked if the horrendous string of incidents made him the unluckiest person in the world, Mr Murphy responded: 'About that, yeah'.
When he was visited by a journalist, he showed a photograph of a beautiful woman that he was set to marry, before she ran off with his best friend.
But he was later shocked by the kindness of strangers after his dentures plea went viral.
Readers raised the $2650 (£1,500) he needed for a new set after hearing about his bad luck.
But he tragically died in August, just a year after moving to a "beautiful" ground floor flat which he adored.
The 62-year-old fell asleep while trying to cook some food in the early hours of the morning.
An investigation found he was taking medication for high blood pressure which made him drowsy.
Now his close friend Jason and sister Tracey are set to hold a memorial where they will scatter Paul's ashes on the Cooks River.
Source: Read Full Article