Kate Middleton and William send St Patrick's Day message
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
St Patrick’s Day is a celebration of Ireland’s patron saint, and a bank holiday in the country, as well as celebrated around the world. Typically green is worn, and festivals and parades held around the world. Now you can take your chances with Express.co.uk’s St Patrick’s Day quiz.
St Patrick’s Day is held each year on March 17, said to be the date of St Patrick’s death in the late 5th century.
With celebrations cancelled over the past couple of years due to the coronavirus pandemic, revellers will be back in full force this week.
Whether you are meeting to share a Guinness, dressing up for the occasion or just staying in, one way to spend time with your friends and family is a quiz.
So put your Irish knowledge to the test with the ultimate St Patrick’s Day quiz below. Good Luck!
Read More: Kate’s parenting style ‘elegant’ while Pippa ‘looking breezily calm’
1. What is the official symbol of Ireland?
2. People traditionally wear green on St. Patrick’s Day to avoid what?
a) Bad luck
b) Getting pinched
c) Losing money
3. What nationality was St Patrick?
4. Worldwide, how many pints of Guinness are typically drunk on St Patrick’s Day?
a) One million
b) 18 million
c) One billion
d) 13 million
4. What did St. Patrick believe a shamrock represented?
5. Which spirit goes into an Irish coffee?
6. Where are St Patrick’s remains said to be located?
7. Which river flows through the centre of Dublin?
8. Why is St Patrick’s Day on March 17?
9. A traditional Irish stew contains which meat?
10. How many times has Ireland won Eurovision?
11. How is St Patrick said to have got to Ireland?
12. Where is St Patrick’s Mountain?
13. Which colour was originally associated with St Patrick?
14. Which animal did St Patrick chase out of Ireland, according to legend?
15. Which Irish city’s name translates from Irish Gaelic into English as ‘dark pool’?
16. What does the circle at the very centre of a Celtic cross represent?
17. Which traditional musical instrument is used as a logo by Guinness?
18. What gives the Purple Mountains in Kerry their colour?
19. If you were eating a boxty, what would this be?
20. In which city is Guinness brewed?
21. Which popular Irish comedy took place on the fictional Craggy Island?
22. What was St Patrick’s real name?
23. Where does the Home of Saint Patrick Festival take place?
24. Which city famously dyes their river green on St Patrick’s Day?
25. According to legend, what should you never do if you catch a Leprechaun?
This Morning: Holly and Phil celebrate St Patrick's Day ￼
26. Which three colours make up the Irish flag?
27. What does “Erinn go brach“ mean?
28. Which is the only Caribbean island to have St Patrick’s Day as a Government holiday?
29. What were forced to be closed on St Patrick’s Day in Ireland until the 1970s?
30. In which year was St Patrick’s Day first made into a bank holiday for Ireland?
2. b) Getting pinched
3. a) Scottish
4. d) 13 million
5. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit – otherwise known as the Holy Trinity
6. Down Cathedral, Downpatrick
7. River Liffey
8. The believed date of St Patrick’s death
11. He was kidnapped by pirates
12. Saul, Co Down
13. a) Blue
16. The sun
19. An Irish potato cake
21. Father Ted
22. Maewyn Succat
25. Take your eyes off him
26. Orange, White and Green
27. Ireland forever
Source: Read Full Article