Four ways including Universal Credit which could mean you pay NO council tax | The Sun

Four ways including Universal Credit which could mean you pay NO council tax | The Sun

THOUSANDS of households could be missing out on paying no council tax.

As energy bills, food and fuel costs all rise, families are looking for ways to save on money.

And if you are on a low income or claim benefits, you could be in line for a reduction on your council tax bill.

Some households could be entitled to a 100% discount.

The discount you get depends on a number of factors, including where you live, your income and your savings.

Here is our list of those who can get a reduction, and in some cases have their council tax bill completely wiped.

Single people

If you live by yourself you can get a 25% discount on your council tax bill.

Read more in Money

Thousands of people to get £200 direct payment within days – how to get the cash

I’ve lived in my house for 104 years – I was born here and then bought it for £250

This is also the case if there is one adult and one student living together in a home, or there is one adult and one person classed as severely mentally impaired in the property.

If you live with a carer, who don't pay council tax, you could get a reduction of up to 50%.

On top of this, if you live in an all-student household, you could get a 100% discount.

A full list of circumstances that exempt you from paying council tax can be found on Citizens Advice.

Most read in Money


Major rule change set to slash kids' uniform costs for new school year


How to get £200 supermarket vouchers for food and essentials


I've lived in my house for 104 years – I was born here and then bought it for £250


Thousands of people to get £200 direct payment within days – how to get the cash


Pensioners can also get a council tax reduction.

And if you receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, you could even get a 100% reduction.

You can get help if you're on a low income as well.

For example, retirees with less than £16,000 in savings could be eligible for a discount.

The reduction which single people can claim is also available to pensioners, so if you're a retiree living alone, you can get 25% off.

Low income households

Households with a low income or which receive benefits may also qualify for a reduction on their council tax.

But what you are entitled to will change depending on where you live.

For example, those on Universal Credit could be eligible for up to 100% off their council tax bill.

But again, this depends on where you live and what your local council's policy is.

The quickest and best option will be to check with your council.

You can find out which council you would need to contact by using the government's website.

But make sure any information you get is clear as council tax is a priority bill – this means if you fall behind you might have to pay the full year's balance in one go.

Non-payment can result in bailiffs, court action or prison as well.

Second homes and empty properties

You usually have to pay council tax on a property you own or rent that's not your main home.

But your council can decide to give you a discount.

Also, if you're selling a property on behalf of an owner who's died you don't need to pay tax until after you get "probate" – the legal right to deal with someone's property.

After you have probate, you may be able to get a council tax exemption for another six months if the property is both unoccupied and still owned and in the name of the person who died.

You best bet is to contact your local authority to see what you may be in line for.

For more information, you can go to the government's website.

Disabled people

You could apply for a council tax discount or exemption if you or someone you live with is disabled.

But you'll have to show you have either an extra bathroom, kitchen or other room that you need for the disabled person, and/or extra space inside the property for using a wheelchair.

There are also occasions where you can get a discount if you or someone you live with is severely mentally impaired.

And you could get a 100% discount if you qualify as severely mentally impaired and one of the following applies:

  • you live on your own
  • any other adults in your household either qualify as severely mentally impaired or are full-time students

You could also be in line for other lesser reductions but this depends on your specific circumstances.

To find out more, you can visit the government's website.

Other support with council tax

There are other ways you can get support with paying for your council tax.

This year, the government is running a £150 council tax rebate for all households which fall under bands A – D.

The £150 does not need to be repaid but the date you are due to get it will vary depending on where you live.

The government has told local authorities their payments should be processed by September 30 this year.

However, depending on where you live, you'll receive the money at different times.

Read More on The Sun

The £1 hack to keep your washing machine clean & get amazing smelling clothes

My daughter was hit with 6 points on licence – she’s not old enough to drive

You may have already received it, particularly if you pay for your council tax by direct debit.

We revealed today around 862,000 households are due council tax cash back.

    Source: Read Full Article