USA TODAY’s Jocelyn McClurg scopes out the hottest books on sale each week.
1. “Watching You” by Lisa Jewell (Atria, fiction, on sale Dec. 26)
What it’s about: In this twisty thriller set in Bristol, England, a well-liked schoolmaster with the Austenesque name of Mr. Fitzwilliam may or may not be a stalker.
The buzz: “Crafty. … Jewell does a masterly job of maintaining suspense,” says Publishers Weekly.
2. “1,000 Books to Read Before You Die” by James Mustich (Workman, nonfiction, on sale now)
What it’s about: At nearly 1,000 pages, this compendium recommends everyone from Wordsworth to Wolfe to Woolf to Whitehead, and that’s just the W’s.
The buzz: Get a jump on your reading list for 2019 (and beyond) with this exhaustive guide, which is fun reading on its own.
3. “An Almost Perfect Christmas” by Nina Stibbe (Little, Brown, nonfiction, on sale now)
What it’s about: Humorous musings on the holiday and what can go wrong (and right).
The buzz: “Funny, smart, sweet, and tender … readable any time of year,” says Booklist.
4. “Quarterback” by John Feinstein (Doubleday, nonfiction, on sale now)
What it’s about: The best-selling sportswriter goes “Inside the Most Important Position in the National Football League,” as the subtitle puts it.
The buzz: “A worthy offering for fans of the … game,” says Kirkus Reviews.
5. “Homer and the Holiday Miracle” by Gwen Cooper (BenBella Books, nonfiction, on sale now)
What it’s about: Inspiring true story about a blind black cat named Homer, who after a long, happy life, might not make it to his last Christmas.
The buzz: Cooper’s “My Life in a Cat House: True Tales of Love, Laughter, and Living With Five Felines” alsohas just been released.
Source: Read Full Article