Pete Davidson to join Blue Origin space trip amid drama with Kim Kardashian’s ex
Space: the final frontier — and a solid way to avoid your girlfriend’s jealous ex. Pete Davidson’s been the target of an endless barrage of social media and music-based attacks from Kanye West, who’s made no secret of his fury over the fact that Pete’s dating the rapper’s ex-wife, Kim Kardashian. But Pete’s about to get a little distance from the ongoing Kanye drama, courtesy of the Jeff Bezos-founded rocket company, Blue Origin. On March 14, Blue Origin announced Pete will be one of the six passengers aboard the New Shepherd rocket when it travels to space and back on March 23, according to the New York Times. A rep for Blue Origin told the Times Pete would be an “honorary guest” on the flight, while the other space travelers will pay for their trips. As for Kanye, Pete and Kim seem to be at their collective wits’ end with the rapper, who’s released two music videos that feature him assaulting Pete and has repeatedly claimed on social media that Kim and her security are keeping him from their four children. Over the weekend, Dave Sirius, an “SNL” writer and friend of Pete’s, shared screenshots of a text exchange he said was shared between Pete and Kanye in which the comic allegedly wrote, “It’s 8am and it don’t gotta be like this. Kim is literally the best mother I’ve ever met. What she does for those kids is amazing and you are so f****** lucky that she’s your kids mom. I’ve decided I’m not gonna let you treat us this way anymore and I’m done being quiet. Grow the f*** up.” Kim has also started speaking out about Kanye’s behavior, most recently telling the rapper on Instagram, “please stop with this narrative, you were just here this morning picking up the kids for school,” after Kanye posted photos of something he claimed “was on my daughters back pack when I was ‘allowed’ to see her last week.” Kim filed for divorce from Kanye in February 2021. Pete’s space trip will be the Blue Origin’s 20th flight.
Keep reading to see why director Jane Campion is apologizing to Venus and Serena Williams …
RELATED: ‘SNL’ stars of the 2000s: Where are they now?
Jane Campion apologizes to Venus and Serena Williams after Critics Choice Awards comment
“Power of the Dog” director Jane Campion was praised for one comment then slammed for another in quick succession over the weekend — and by Monday morning, she’d issued a statement of apology to Venus and Serena Williams. Jane’s positive Twitter reception came on Saturday, March 12, after she dismissed Sam Elliott’s recent criticism of her neo-Western psychodrama as “sexist,” telling Variety at the Director’s Guild Awards that the “Yellowstone” star is “not a cowboy, he’s an actor,” after he ranted on Marc Maron’s podcast, “what the f— does this woman from [New Zealand] know about the American West?,” among other things. At the Critics Choice Awards the next day, however, it was Jane who sparked backlash among with a remark about the Williams sisters, who were in the audience because of their ties to “King Richard,” which stars Will Smith as the champion athletes’ father. “It’s absolutely stunning to be here tonight among so many incredible women,” Jane told the audience after winning best director, her first of four wins that night. After praising Halle Berry’s SeeHer Award speech, Jane addressed Venus and Serena. “What an honor to be in the room with you,” said the director. “I’ve taken up tennis — I truly have — and Will, if you want to come over and give me lessons, I would truly love it … ” From there, she praised her “fellow, fellow, fellow” best director nominees, calling them “the guys,” in light of her being the sole woman in the group. “Venus and Serena, you’re such marvels,” Jane continued. “However, you don’t play against the guys, like I have to.” The comment was quickly trashed on social media and by writers online, many of whom called the awkward remark “tone deaf,””cringey,” “ignorant” and “offensive.” On Monday, Jane released a formal apology. “I made a thoughtless comment equating what I do in the film world with all that Serena Williams and Venus Williams have achieved,” she said in the statement, according to Deadline. “I did not intend to devalue these two legendary Black women and world class athletes. The fact is the Williams sisters have, actually, squared off against men on the court (and off), and they have both raised the bar and opened doors for what is possible for women in this world. The last thing I would ever want to do is minimize remarkable women. I love Serena and Venus. Their accomplishments are titanic and inspiring. Serena and Venus, I apologize and completely celebrate you.” “Power of the Dog” is up for 12 Oscars, including best director and best picture, at the Academy Awards on March 27.
RELATED: Penelope Cruz, Javier Bardem and more stars attend the 2022 Oscar Nominees Luncheon
Will Smith says ‘there’s never been infidelity’ in his marriage to Jada Pinkett Smith
Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith have both spoken publicly about their unconventional marriage in recent years. That’s including Jada’s admission in 2020 that she had an “entanglement” with singer August Alsina at one point when she and Will were on a break. But Will doesn’t qualify that relationship — or any others — as affairs. “There’s never been infidelity in our marriage. Never,” the “King Richard” star told Gayle King on the March 14 edition of “CBS Sunday Morning.” “Jada and I talk about everything, and we have never surprised one another with anything ever,” he said, according to People. Later, Will added that whispers about his personal life aren’t necessarily bad, either. “I have decided that chatter about my life can be of benefit to people,” he told the anchor. “I think that chatter is the first stage to having a real conversation and being able to truly explore if some of the things in your heart are loving or poisonous.” Speaking to GQ last year, Will explained why he and Jada have chosen the path they have. “We have given each other trust and freedom, with the belief that everybody has to find their own way. And marriage for us can’t be a prison,” he said at the time. “And I don’t suggest our road for anybody. I don’t suggest this road for anybody. But the experiences that the freedoms that we’ve given one another and the unconditional support, to me, is the highest definition of love.”
RELATED: Notorious celebrity cheating scandals
Sandra Bullock says she’s taking a break from acting
Sandra Bullock’s ready for a break from acting. With her new adventure comedy, “The Lost City” hitting theaters March 25, the actress and producer says she’s headed to “the place that makes [her] happiest.” That would be her home, which she shares with her son, Louis, 12, daughter, Laila, 10, and partner Bryan Randall. “I take my job very seriously when I’m at work,” Sandra recently told Entertainment Tonight, describing her career as a “24/7” activity when she’s working on a project. “And I just want to be 24/7 with my babies and my family. That’s where I’m gonna be for a while,” she said. “Servicing their every need. Their social calendar,” Sandra added. Her plan to lay low isn’t much of a surprise, though. Back in 2015, after she and Bryan started dating, a source told Us Weekly that she and her photographer beau are “total homebodies.” And while she’s said she loved working with Channing Tatum on “Lost City,” Sandra’s also made it clear Bryan and their kids come first. “I found the love of my life,” she said on “Red Table Talk” in December. “We share two beautiful children — three children, he’s got his older daughter. It’s the best thing ever.”
Tom Brady’s decision to return to the NFL after announcing his retirement was made with the full support of his wife, Gisele Bundchen, according to People. “Gisele has been vocal about wanting him to retire for years but she’s also his biggest cheerleader,” a source told the outlet in a report published March 14. “He would never do it if she weren’t on board. Everything they do they decide as a family,” the insider added. Tom, 44, stunned fans on March 13 when he shared the news on social media that he’ll play for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers once again this coming season, rather than retire as planned. “These past two months I’ve realized my place is still on the field and not in the stands,” he wrote in the post. “That time will come. But it’s not now. I love my teammates, and I love my supportive family. They make it all possible. I’m coming back for my 23rd season in Tampa. Unfinished business LFG.” He included photos of his team and of Gisele walking out of a stadium with their kids, Vivian, 9, Benjamin, 12, and Jack, 14. A second source told People Gisele hoped Tom would feel good about leaving the league, but supports his decision because it was important to him. “She wants Tom to be happy, but she is always worried about him getting injured,” they explained. Responding to Tom’s announcement on Instagram, Gisele wrote in the comments, “Here we go again! Let’s go lovvvey! Let’s go Bucs!🔥.” The seven-time Super Bowl winner initially announced his retirement on Feb. 1.
Taraji P. Henson compares ‘Empire’ co-star Jussie Smollett to Emmett Till: ‘Free Jussie’
Taraji P. Henson is urging fans to push for Jussie Smollett’s release from jail after he was sentenced last week to 150 days behind bars for staging a racist and homophobic hate crime against himself and lying to police about it. He has maintained he did not fake the attack. “I am not here to debate you on his innocence but we can agree that the punishment does not fit the crime,” Taraji wrote of her “Empire” co-star on Instagram on March 13. “Emmett Till was brutally beat and ultimately murdered because of a lie and none of the people involved with his demise spent one day in jail, even after Carolyn Bryant admitted that her claims were false,” she continued, referencing the 14-year-old Black child who was lynched in Mississippi in 1955 after being accused of flirting with or whistling at a white woman. His killers, both white, were later acquitted by an all-white jury. “No one was hurt or killed during Jussie’s ordeal,” Taraji wrote. “He has already lost everything, EVERYTHING! To me as an artist not able to create that in itself is punishment enough. He can’t get a job. No one in Hollywood will hire him and again as an artist who loves to create, that is prison. My prayer is that he is freed and put on house arrest and probation because in this case that would seem fair. Please #freejussie.” Jussie’s family has said on social media that he’s now in a psychiatric ward at Cook County jail. According to The Root, high-profile inmates are often housed there for their own protection. In addition to his jail term, the actor was sentenced to 30 months of probation and nearly $150,000 in restitution and fines.
Marlee Matlin reacts to ex, William Hurt’s death following abuse allegations
Hollywood is mourning the death of William Hurt, who died at 71 on March 13 following a battle with cancer. Tributes to the late “Big Chill” star have poured in on Twitter from the likes of Albert Brooks, Antonio Banderas and Mark Ruffalo, with Albert calling his experience working with William “amazing,” and George Takei writing that William, “… broke the mold in his Oscar-winning role in ‘Kiss of the Spider Woman,’ broke smiles in ‘Broadcast News,’ and broke our hearts in ‘The Accidental Tourist.'” At the Critics Choice Awards, William’s former partner, Marlee Matlin, who won an Oscar for her performance alongside him in “Children of a Lesser God,” also remembered her ex, telling a reporter on the red carpet (via Newsweek): “We’ve lost a really great actor and working with him on-set in ‘Children of a Lesser God’ will always be something I remember very fondly. He taught me a great deal as an actor and he was one of a kind.” The “CODA” star’s tribute emerged as some on social media resurfaced Marlee’s 2009 allegations that William physically and sexually abused her repeatedly during their relationship, which began when she was 19 and he was 35. She had detailed her claims in a memoir, “I’ll Scream Later,” published that year. In a statement following the book’s release, William said, “My own recollection is that we both apologized and both did a great deal to heal our lives. Of course, I did and do apologize for any pain I caused. And I know we both have grown. I wish Marlee and her family nothing but good.”
John Oliver slams Disney for supporting ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill pols
John Oliver tore into Disney on the March 13 edition of “Last Week Tonight,” joining a chorus of stars who’ve slammed the company for backing politicians who supported Florida’s controversial new “Don’t Say Gay” bill.”Now, are they morally bankrupt for doing that? Who’s to say? I’ll tell you: I am. I am to say,” John asserted (via THR), before dubbing himself “Zazu,” the character he voiced in 2019’s “Lion King” remake. “Here’s the thing, movies generally can affect how people view the world, but is this really a path you want to go down Disney? You are the same company that’s coded basically every villain in your movies as gay, stereotyped minorities to a breathtaking degree and had something called a ‘Wench Auction’ in place at Disneyland until 2018. So I don’t know if you’ve had a net 100-percent positive effect here,” John said after detailing the estimated $300,000 Disney has reportedly donated to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and other politicians who’ve backed the bill. He also called out Disney CEO Bob Chapek for saying in a statement that Disney’s “diverse stories …[are] more powerful than any tweet or lobbying effort,” calling that claim “nonsense.” He closed the segment by sharing the CEO’s apology and noting that “marginalized creators have made billions of dollars for Disney” through the years. “Now, should it embarrass them that it took them until this week to realize that they shouldn’t take that money and use it to actively undermine those creators’ interests?” John asked. “Who’s to say? I’ll tell you: I am. I’m Zazu, remember, and while I haven’t been invited back for the prequel yet, after tonight I’ve got a pretty good feeling about it.”
Source: Read Full Article