Court officials made special arrangements so Jennifer Lawrence could stare down Harvey Weinstein at a Thursday hearing in his Manhattan sex-assault case — but when The Post broke the news of the visit, the Hollywood superstar’s publicist denied it would take place.
Weinstein is set to learn whether a judge will grant his motion to dismiss criminal charges stemming from the epic sex-abuse scandal that cost him his career.
On Wednesday evening, The Post was first to report that Lawrence planned to attend the proceeding in a show of support for Weinstein’s accusers.
Shortly after the report was posted online, Lawrence spokeswoman Liz Mahoney insisted, “She’s not.”
But state court system spokesman Lucian Chalfen confirmed that officials were contacted by reps for Lawrence who said she intended to appear at Manhattan Supreme Court.
“This is a high profile case. Based on information we received, we gave it additional attention and resources. Our court officers are well versed in situations like this,” he said.
Dennis Quirk, head of the New York State Court Officers Association, said that Hamlet Rodriguez, of the Gavin de Becker and Associates security company, told officials he would accompany Lawrence to court, along with two other bodyguards, a lawyer and a public-relations assistant.
Quirk said several courtrooms in Manhattan Criminal Court were ordered closed and officers were reassigned to provide extra security for her visit, including “to handle additional crowds outside and in the lobby.”
“We arranged forty metal barriers to be delivered by NYPD to create an extensive press area after the visit,” he said.
But, Quirk said, Rodriguez was denied permission for Lawrence to skip the metal detectors.
Mahoney didn’t respond to those on-the-record remarks.
Lawrence — who won an Oscar in 2013 for her performance in the Weinstein-produced “Silver Linings Playbook” — became enmeshed in the sordid allegations against him last week, when a when a suit filed in Los Angeles alleged that Weinstein bragged that he had sex with her.
“I slept with Jennifer Lawrence and look where she is; she has just won an Oscar,” the suit quotes Weinstein as saying.
Weinstein is accused of making the boast after forcibly performing oral sex on the plaintiff in the case, an unidentified “Jane Doe” who said she was sobbing at the time.
In a statement released in response to the suit, Lawrence said, “My heart breaks for all the women who were victimized by Harvey Weinstein.”
“I have never had anything but a professional relationship with him. This is yet another example of the predatory tactics and lies that he engaged in to lure countless women,” she added.
A Weinstein spokesperson denied the allegations in the suit, saying the “malicious claims” were “meant to embarrass Mr. Weinstein and garner unchecked media attention.”
Last year, Lawrence said she was mystified that she wasn’t among the scores of women with “me too” allegations against Weinstein.
“It was bizarre. I had heard that he was a dog but he was almost like paternal to me. He was never inappropriate with me,” she told the Hollywood Reporter’s Awards Chatter podcast.
Weinstein defense lawyer Ben Brafman declined to comment, and Rodriguez didn’t return a phone message.
Source: Read Full Article